Kalepa is a tech-driven start-up re-imagining the trillion-dollar commercial insurance industry. Our cross-functional teams leverage AI, cutting-edge tech and tons of data to deliver the right insurance coverage at the right price for every business. We call this Efficient Frontier insurance.
Why we're here:
For years businesses have tried to find the right policy in order to protect themselves and their employees. However, commercial insurance is plagued with a big problem...businesses and insurers don’t trust each other! .
Insurers find it hard to understand the true exposures of businesses and to profitably provide them with policies that reflect that true risk. Small and medium businesses struggle to find the coverage they need and are often left underinsured, uninsured, or paying higher rates than needed.
Our Copilot technology platform and Copilot-powered MGA combine Human and Artificial Intelligence to address this foundational issue head on, bringing commercial insurance to the Efficient Frontier where businesses and insurers work with a single version of the truth and collaborate to mitigate risk. It’s the way insurance should work.
What we are looking for:
As a Machine Learning Engineer you will lead the framing, development, and deployment at scale of machine learning models to understand the risk of various classes of businesses. You will be turning vast amounts of structured and unstructured data from many sources (web data, geolocation, satellite imaging, etc.) into novel insights about behavior and risk.
Kalepa's team members bring experience from top technology, insurance, and intelligence institutions including Facebook, Google, Amazon, Uber, Doordash, Mastercard, Chubb, AIG, Zurich, Everest Insurance, MIT, Berkeley, UPenn, the University of Warsaw, and the Israel Defense Forces.
Kalepa is backed by IA Ventures (early investors in Datadog, Wise, Better, Digital Ocean, TheTradeDesk, Flatiron Health, Komodo Health, etc.), Former Secretary of Commerce Penny Pritzker’s Inspired Capital, and leaders in financial services and technology including Gokul Rajaram from Doordash, Coinbase, and Square, Jackie Reses from Square, Affirm, and Alibaba, and Henry Ward from Carta.
- You have 5+ years of experience in engineering and data science.
- You love to hustle: finding ways to get things done, destroying obstacles, and never taking no for an answer. The words “it can’t be done” don’t exist in your vocabulary.
- You have in-depth understanding of applied machine learning algorithms, especially NLP, and statistics
- You are experienced in Python and its major data science libraries, and have deployed models and algorithms in productio
- You are comfortable with data science as well as with the engineering required to bring your models to production.
- You are excited about using a wide set of technologies, ultimately focused on finding the right tool for the job.
- You value open, frank, and respectful communication.
As a plus:
- You have experience with AWS
- You have hands-on experience with data analytics and data engineering.
What you’ll get:
- Competitive salary (based on experience level).
- Significant equity options package.
- Work with an ambitious, smart, global, and fun team to transform a $1T global industry.
- Ground floor opportunity – early member of Kalepa’s data science team.
- 20 days of PTO a year.
- Global team offsites.
- [For Poland] Assistance with getting the 10% tax rate on your base salary (IP BOX).