About Kailua Labs
Kailua Labs is a seed stage startup building a search platform that unlocks next-generation search and enrichment on your images, text and video through one simple SaaS API. Our mission is to make content in every application accessible the way people already think and talk about it.
We are backed by Matrix Partners, Firsthand Ventures, StartX and former execs in top tech companies like Apple, AirBnB, Oracle, LinkedIn, and more, as well as researchers from MIT and Google X. Our founders are ex-Apple engineers with deep experience shipping ML and search systems to hundreds of millions of users across the globe and we have an incredibly talented founding team of ex-Apple, Google and Amazon engineers. We are moving quickly and are passionate about providing a magical experience for our growing customer base.
We are hiring a staff software engineer to help architect and build out our API, serving and data processing infrastructure, and early product. As an early member of the team you will have the opportunity to take ownership over several areas of the product:
- Developer-centric API design - design API features, build great dev exp, document APIs
- Serving infrastructure - API serving, GPU serving, horizontal & vertical scaling, CI/CD
- Data processing / ETL - onboarding new data types/customers, data management, ML data infra
- End user product - build end user features such as dashboards, internal & customer analytics, etc.
You’ll be joining as one of the earliest team members & will be critical to helping the team iterate and develop a product our customers love. This role is a great fit if you like moving quickly, can work across the stack when necessary and want a seat at the table making decisions about the future of the product & technology. The ideal candidate takes ownership over things and is excited to grow into a leadership position as the company and team grow in the future.
Who you are
- You love to learn and look for ways to learn at an accelerated pace
- You are compassionate and help others around you
- You can quickly hit the ground running, map out challenges and opportunities and develop a plan to improve things in the short and long term
- You have strong ownership of any task that you take on, driving it to success whether or not you've done it before
- You can cut through ambiguity and deliver amazing results even when there isn't a lot of guidance
- You are always looking for better ways of doing things, trying out new tools and processes
- You form meaningful relationships wherever you go: people respect and like you because you value them
- You seek continuous feedback from those around you and are willing to share feedback across all levels of the company
Requirements & Skills
- 8+ years experience as a software engineer working on robust and scalable systems
- You have architected and shipped code in production for high load systems
- Experience designing and implementing customer facing APIs
- Deep understanding of unix, tcp/ip networking, storage system performance and concurrency
- Performance engineering - experience monitoring perf, finding bottlenecks and fixing them
- You have worked on search and recommendation systems powdered by machine learning.
- You have demonstrated ability to quickly deliver project results in previous work (e.g. joined new team and shipped feature XYZ in 6 months)
- Live/work in U.S. time zone, minimum is PST+-3hrs. We have an office in San Francisco, but most of the team is remote.
- Tech stack: Python, Go, FastAPI, Metaflow, AWS/GCP, Linux, k8s
- 8+ years of experience working with Python or Golang
- 5+ years of working with relational databases
- 5+ years developing REST/gRPC APIs
- 5+ years working with cloud services (Lambda, RDS, S3, ECS/EC2, Terraform, etc.)
- 5+ years working on a production, customer facing system
- Competitive salary and equity.
- Platinum-level health, dental, and vision insurance for you and your family. We cover 99% of employee premiums and 95% of dependent premiums.
- Flexible Work - remote or in-person. We have a flexible work environment - work remotely from any U.S. timezone, or join us in-person at our San Francisco office.
- Unlimited PTO - take time when you need it to rest, relax, and recharge with unlimited PTO (minimum 4 weeks encouraged).
- Team events. Distributed work is awesome, but so is getting together in-person. Hang out with your colleagues at planned team events around the country.
- Brand new MacBook Pro (or PC if you prefer)
Don’t meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single qualification. At Kailua Labs we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive and authentic workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyways. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
Kailua Labs provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.