Scale matters. When it comes to our video platform, scale means ingesting tens of thousands of hours of video a day, processing millions of events per minute and serving thousands of videos every second.
We are looking for a Software Engineer to join our rapidly growing team and help manage our internal and user-facing dashboards, our eCommerce and direct-sold payments systems, as well as our internal user account management APIs and data stores.
The ideal candidate is a systems-minded person who can create simple solutions to complex problems while flourishing in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
We’re Excited About Candidates Who Have:
- 3+ years of experience in software development
- Fluency in Python; we’re big fans of the book Effective Python
- A proven track record of ownership of maintainable, stable and scalable software
- A collaborative demeanor
- Excellent communications skills
- An obsession for code quality and test coverage
- A bias for action: we value team members who are self-starters and take ownership
- Strong Unix/Linux skills
- Knowledge of Docker and containerization
- Bachelor's degree (or more) in a Computer Science; or equivalent experience
JW Player Company Culture:
- Bi-annual hack weeks
- Fireside chats with the JW family
- Employee-led instruction on everything from deep learning to knitting
- P&E all hands where we walk through architecture and customer use cases of our products
- Company sponsored outings
- D&I committee fostering inclusiveness
- New hire buddy program
JW Player Technology:
- A deployment system on top of Kubernetes
- Ability to continuously deploy multiple times a day
- Python for (most) backend development
- Postgres for our relational databases, Kafka for data change capture, RabbitMQ for our message broker, Redis for caching, Snowflake for analytics
- Typescript and Angular for frontend
- CI/CD with Jenkins and Buildkite
- AWS infrastructure, leveraging EC2, S3, CloudFront, Route53, and much moreVideo delivery APIs that scale to tens of thousands of requests per second at petabyte scale
- Log-based architecture using Kafka
- A data science/machine learning pipeline using Airflow and Tensorflow
- A search API powered by Elasticsearch
- A video metadata extraction platform using machine learning
- An intelligent thumbnail selector using convolutional neural networks
About JW Player
JW Player pioneered video on the web over a decade ago and continues to innovate as the world’s largest network-independent platform for video delivery and intelligence. Media companies including Fox, VICE, Business Insider, and Univision, in addition to hundreds of thousands of creators of all types and sizes, rely on JW Player to deliver and monetize their content across all devices. JW Player’s massive global footprint of over 2 billion unique devices creates a powerful data graph of unique consumer insights and generates billions of incremental video views. The company is headquartered in New York, with offices in London and Eindhoven, and was named to Deloitte’s Technology Fast 500™ in 2017. For more information, visit http://www.jwplayer.com.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.