Juul Labs’ mission is to impact the lives of the world’s one billion adult smokers by eliminating combustible cigarettes. We have the opportunity to address one of the world’s most intractable challenges through a commitment to exceptional quality, research, design, and innovation. Backed by leading technology investors, we are committed to the same excellence when it comes to hiring great talent.
We are a diverse team that is united by this common purpose and we are hiring the world’s best engineers, scientists, designers, product managers, operations experts, and customer service and business professionals. If the opportunity to build your career at one of the fastest growing companies is compelling, read on for more details.
Must live in US
Data at Juul means working with varied, large, data sets – where we apply analytical methods to help inform and drive business and product decisions. We are looking for an output-focused problem solver with a strong conceptual mindset and superb communication skills.
The team sees itself as analytical generalists – we choose the right technique for each problem, pride ourselves on building beautiful systems and dashboards while moving fast, and are ultimately driven by the value and insight data science can generate for the business and our customers. Our work directly impacts and shapes key executive decisions. This role offers tremendous upwards exposure towards senior business leaders and the chance to truly impact the decision making in a startup.
Role and Responsibilities:
- Design robust, reusable and scalable data solutions and data pipeline frameworks to automate the ingestion, processing and delivery of both structured and unstructured data using python.
- Lead active development of large-scale data engineering projects, including tools and solutions for orchestration, lineage, real time data ingestion, pub/sub, kubernetes
- Create data pipelines in airflow, DBT and the general suite of Google Cloud Platform.
- Independently lead the team to build, manage, and support data models. Ensure data quality with data tests in Monte Carlo and Datafold.
- Work in an Agile environment using Trello.
- Partner with Data Scientists, Data Engineers and Business Analysts across the organization to build and maintain configurable, scalable, and robust data processing infrastructure
- Work closely with our Sales, Operations, Research, and Finance teams on data storage, retrieval, and analysis
- Develop new systems and tools to enable stakeholders to consume and understand data more intuitively
- Create and establish design standards and assurance processes to ensure compatibility and operability of data connections, flows and storage requirements
- Keep Juul on the cutting edge of data technology
Our Data Stack:
- Airflow, Fivetran
- Google Cloud Platform - GCP (BigQuery, Storage, Dataflow, Pub/Sub, Cloud Functions/Run, Vertex AI, Cloud Build)
- Monte Carlo, Datafold
Personal and Professional Qualifications:
- 8-10 years of data engineering or software engineering experience with a focus on data
- Significant experience independently driving engineering solutions
- Advanced knowledge in developing using Python for data processing large-scale datasets and workflows
- Skilled using python libraries and packages (pandas, pyarrow) in conjunction with the Google Cloud Platform (BigQuery, Storage, Pub/Sub)
- Knowledge of bash/shell and orchestration tools (e.g. Airflow), is preferred.
- Experience with version control (Git) and containers (Docker)
- Skilled in analytical SQL in support of data modeling/ transformations and manipulating multiple data formats
- Foundational expertise of deploying and maintaining machine learning pipelines is a plus
- Preferred masters degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Math, or equivalent experience
- Bachelor's degree required
JUUL LABS PERKS & BENEFITS:
- A place to grow your career. We’ll help you set big goals - and exceed them
- People. Work with talented, committed and supportive teammates
- Equity and performance bonuses. Every employee is a stakeholder in our success
- Cell phone subsidy, commuter benefits and discounts on JUUL products
- Excellent medical, dental and vision benefits
Juul Labs is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive work environment for all employees and job applicants, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. Juul Labs also complies with the employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act. All applicants must have authorization to work for Juul Labs in the US. #LI-remote
Salary varies by role, level and location, and is dependent on the cost of labor in a given
geographic region among other factors. These ranges may be modified at any time.
Tier 1 Locations: Greater New York City, and San Francisco Bay Area
Tier 2 Locations: Greater Boston, Washington DC Metropolitan Area, Seattle/Tacoma,
Greater Sacramento, Los Angeles/OC/San Diego
Tier 3 Locations: Rest of New England, NY Capital District, Rest of New Jersey, Greater
Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Delaware, Rest of Maryland, Rest of Virginia, North Carolina,
Atlanta, Miami-Fort Lauderdale-WPB, Chicagoland, Dallas, Houston, Austin,
Minneapolis/St. Paul, Colorado, Phoenix, Reno, Las Vegas, Portland Ore./Vancouver
Wash., Rest of California, Hawaii
Tier 4 Locations: Rest of US including Alaska and Puerto Rico