Juul Labs’ mission is to impact the lives of the world’s one billion adult smokers by eliminating combustible cigarettes. We have the opportunity to address one of the world’s most intractable challenges through a commitment to exceptional quality, research, design, and innovation. Backed by leading technology investors, we are committed to the same excellence when it comes to hiring great talent.
We are a diverse team that is united by this common purpose and we are hiring the world’s best engineers, scientists, designers, product managers, operations experts, and customer service and business professionals. If the opportunity to build your career at one of the fastest growing companies is compelling, read on for more details.
We seek a dynamic, highly skilled, and passionate Mechanical Engineer, to bring new products and major product improvements to market. This important, highly technical position reports to the Director of Mechanical Engineering in the Engineering organization at JUUL Labs.
Reporting to the Director, China Engineering, this is a hands-on role that will be responsible for designing new products that are innovative, cost efficient, reliable, and ship on schedule. You will troubleshoot and make improvements to existing products, and work closely with other members of the engineering staff to create optimal solutions to difficult design, structural, thermal, and battery life issues. You will be comfortable sketching and prototyping new ideas and be familiar with engineering best practices, concepts and procedures. We are looking for someone who is flexible and can respond quickly, energetically, and enthusiastically to changes. This role may lead and direct the work of others. The person in this role should be a strong communicator who is able to work effectively with peers and management alike in a high-paced global environment.
- Maintaining communication within the development team to create high quality products that delight our customers.
- Cross-functional organization, communication, and management
- Create meetings and document action items and progress
- Travel to support manufacturing builds
- Create, modify, and update schematics, BOMs, and fixture layouts for new and existing products.
- Work with ID to assess product features for manufacturability and recommend processes, equipment, etc.
- Contribute to development of the mechanical product architecture.
- Detailed design of mechanical components, including complex assemblies and sub-systems.
- Conduct rapid feasibility studies to design for mechanical robustness, schedule, and cost.
- Oversee internal and external prototyping.
- Facilitate design reviews.
- Work directly with part suppliers on DFM, tooling kick-off, tool bring-up, and tool/part qualification.
- Collaborate with local and overseas engineering and manufacturing teams to qualify tooling and define visual quality requirements.
- Work directly with our CM partners in support of system assembly build activities.
- Root cause analysis and corrective action implementation as a result of build issues and reliability testing.
Skills and Experience Required
- Minimum 6-10 years of relevant Mechanical Engineering experience in one or more of the following areas: product design, new product release, test engineering, manufacturing support.
- Experience with medical devices or other regulated products is desirable.
- Experience working with overseas suppliers and CM partners, specifically designing and ramping high volume parts and assemblies.
- Experience in designing consumer oriented products using a broad range of processes and materials, with an emphasis on cosmetic plastic molding and metal parts (sheet metal, CNC, extrusion, etc.).
- Experience with the development and integration of electro-mechanical components, such as flex circuits, batteries, and antennae.
- Experience in the areas of: Tolerance Analysis, FEA, Thermal Design, DFMEA, DFA, etc.
- Expertise in 3D MCAD, Solidworks preferred.
- An ability to communicate well with cross-functional team members, efficiently collaborate to achieve project goals, and contribute positively to the engineering community.
- Domestic and international travel up to 25%.
- Ability to multi-task or focus on detailed problems, and tenacity to drive issues until resolved.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in both English and Mandarin
- Self-motivated, team player, with a strong desire to learn new skills and grow.
- BS in Mechanical Engineering, or related field. Associate’s degree with significant experience will be considered. Master’s degree is a plus.
JUUL LABS PERKS & BENEFITS:
- A place to grow your career. We’ll help you set big goals - and exceed them
- People. Work with talented, committed and supportive teammates
- Equity and performance bonuses. Every employee is a stakeholder in our success
- Boundless snacks and drinks
- Cell phone subsidy, commuter benefits and discounts on JUUL products
- Excellent medical, dental and vision benefits