Juul Labs’ mission is to impact the lives of the world’s one billion adult smokers by eliminating combustible cigarettes. We have the opportunity to address one of the world’s most intractable challenges through a commitment to exceptional quality, research, design, and innovation. Backed by leading technology investors, we are committed to the same excellence when it comes to hiring great talent.
We are a diverse team that is united by this common purpose and we are hiring the world’s best engineers, scientists, designers, product managers, operations experts, and customer service and business professionals. If the opportunity to build your career at one of the fastest growing companies is compelling, read on for more details.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Sr. Advanced Manufacturing Engineer (AME) is responsible for the definition, planning, coordination, design and execution of high volume manufacturing process’ for new products, sustaining operations and process improvement for Juul devices and accessories.
This person will collaborate with contract manufacturers (CMs) and upstream suppliers on defining the assembly process and development. This person will own DFM, PFMEA, manufacturing system, equipment reliability, cost verification, OEE output and regularly communicates status, risks and requirements to project teams, automation partners, contract manufacturers and Juul Labs upper management in a timely manner. This person will work with Juul’s worldwide cross functional teams to review design and provide feedback for manufacturability, recommend and drive process equipment as well as execute the build through each of the NPI phases into validation and sustaining. This person will support product development in the areas of requirements specification, design reviews, Failure Modes & Effects Analysis, equipment qualification, as well as factory and site acceptance test (FAT/SAT). NPI phases.
- MANUFACTURING EXCELLENCE
- Develop new manufacturing processes, system infrastructure, jigs and fixture to deliver low cycle time and high-quality output at a stable and predictable rate to deliver to product requirements and business needs.
- Work with CMs and upstream suppliers to understand assembly and finished good manufacturing processes and act as technical expert to ensure repeatable and reproducible quality/reliability during the life of the product(s).
- Standardize and modularize manual and automated assembly equipment and stations operations to ensure all critical closed loop process controls are in place.
- Implement best practices for manufacturing excellence including developing standardize work instruction, value stream mapping, kaizen, trouble shooting and escalation flow charts.
- ENGINEERING IMPROVEMENTS AND TROUBLESHOOTING
- Apply knowledge of product design, fabrication, assembly, tooling, automation, and materials to make improvements.
- Analyze defect, yield, OEE, and other manufacturability issues, then design and run experiments to improve design, process, and system.
- Drive the investigation of product, component, and/or material issues or supply constraints and assist with troubleshooting remotely and/or on-site at the manufacturing facilities.
- Design and develop technically complex measurement processes to improve quality and efficiency.
- Spearhead problem solving and process/system improvement using Lean Six Sigma and Design of Experiments to optimize manufacturing processes at CMs and up-stream suppliers.
- Direct the completion of First Articles, process qualifications, PFMEA, DOEs, and engineering change requests.
- PROCESS AND EQUIPMENT DEVELOPMENT
- Work with R&D to research, develop, design, and evaluate complex mechanical and electronic assemblies, sub-assemblies, and printed circuit assemblies and ensure they are designed for manufacturability.
- Work with Vendors to fine tune automation equipment as well as specialized process development
- Oversees acceptance testing and installation of automated equipment at vendors and contract manufacturers, perform field and site acceptance test (FAT/SAT)
- Ensure Machine Operation, Service, PM manual, critical and consumable spare parts lifetime, Mechanical and electrical drawings, software are controlled and updated.
- Supports the development of process work instructions, calibration and preventive maintenance schedules and equipment qualification/validation documentation
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- 7+ years of experience with one or more of the following: high volume consumer electronics product ramp, manufacturing engineering, medical device, process development, sustaining, NPI, quality, manufacturing automation, and/or testing roles.
- Experience in many of the following methodologies: DFM, FMEA, SPC, DOE, Lean Manufacturing, Six Sigma, quality and Process Control.
- Experience in resolving complex technical and infrastructure problems in a high-volume manufacturing environment.
- Proficient with data analysis and effective summary for data driven decision making.
- Excellent project management skills with strong ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects while maintaining accuracy and meeting deadlines.
- Ability to make decisions and take accountability for those decisions, with limited information, in high pressure time limited situations.
- Detail orientation with a strong quality mindset. Enjoy working in a team environment.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively across all business levels and functions, both internally and at vendors
- Ability to travel internationally, specifically to China and other parts of Asia, 30-40% travel.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering (Mechanical or Electrical preferred). Advanced degree preferred.
JUUL LABS PERKS & BENEFITS:
- A place to grow your career. We’ll help you set big goals - and exceed them.
- Work with talented, committed, and diverse teammates in an inclusive environment.
- Equity and performance bonuses. Every employee is a stakeholder in our success.
- Monthly Work from Home Stipend.
- Cell phone subsidy, extensive self-care/wellness benefits, and discounts on Juul products.
- Excellent medical, dental, and vision benefits.