JUUL's mission is to improve the lives of the world’s one billion adult smokers by driving innovation to eliminate cigarettes. JUUL is the number one US-based vapor product. Headquartered in San Francisco and backed by leading technology investors including Tiger Global, Fidelity Investments and Tao Invest LLC, JUUL Labs is disrupting one of the world’s largest and oldest industries.
We’re an exceptional team with backgrounds in technology, healthcare, CPG and biotech, and we’re growing rapidly to deliver on our mission. We’re actively looking to hire the world’s best scientists, engineers, designers, product managers, supply chain experts, customer service and business professionals.
This GTC Duty Drawback Manager position will play a central role in the duty drawback knowledge within JuuL Labs. This role will be responsible for management of the JuuL Duty Drawback program. Primary responsibilities will include gathering data across multiple business units or business partners, identifying duty drawback opportunities and developing, implementing and maintaining internal Juul program to comply with Customs and Border Patrol regulations. The GTC Drawback Manager-Drawback must have current experience with the revised Customs regulations and calculation methodologies.
This position supports JuuL Global Trade Compliance through the development, implementation, and management of processes, procedures, program financial calculations and training that supports the Juul Duty Drawback program. This position reports to the Director of Global Trade Compliance for Juul Labs Inc.
Must have experience in the following areas of Drawback Program management:
- Establishing a drawback program, building direct connections with CBP to facilitate the Drawback program, Developing Duty drawback rules, and Timelines/ Recordkeeping requirements related to drawback program operations. This will include working knowledge in entry processes, valuation, export shipment processing and informed compliance methods
- Preparing duty drawback entries for electronic submission to CBP including preparing import and exports calculating various entered values and data review manipulation and preparing duty drawback forms necessary for filing of claims
- Detailed understanding of duty drawback and how to effectively establish a companywide duty drawback program.
- Experience in program auditing the drawback program, answering Desk Reviews, or any inquiry from CBP in regard to the Drawback program.
- Estimating the drawback potential, understanding the taxes and fees eligible for drawback, Documents required to file a claim. Work with CBP and other stake holders to directly manage the payment of drawback.
- Ability to communicate with U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) on technical duty drawback matters and prepare duty drawback entries for electronic submission to CBP
- Understand and drive use of technology to ensure trade and legal compliance of the JuuL Labs Drawback program.
- Understand and analyze the underlying schema and BOM (Bills of material) to create data extract procedures and verification steps for duty drawback.
- Create procedures to extract and validate the data from different inventory management systems.
- Construct dataflows and business information charts and diagrams for Duty Drawback process; studying system capabilities of warehouse management practices, Bill of Material Systems and Financial systems.
- The successful candidate will be well organized, detail oriented and knowledgeable about manufacturing, procurement and export processes. The candidate must also have knowledge of US Customs compliance in addition to the Duty Drawback program requirements.
- Establishing and managing a corporate drawback program. This includes deriving the import and export data to be used in the claim, formulating to CBP program specification the data to be used in the Drawback, and then completing the required documentation and then submission of the Drawback claim
- Define the Drawback system to be used, drive selection, set up of processes and management of the Drawback program via the Drawback system to be used.
- High ethical and personal integrity standards; honest and trustworthy
- Capacity to accept frequent challenges with extensive and complex scope that confront typical trade compliance programs in multi-national manufacturing companies, and manage these challenges effectively with minimal supervision
- Must have excellent computer skills and demonstrated capability in Microsoft Office suite tools. Must be able to data mine and manipulate data form a variety of data sources that allows JuuL to understand trends and outcomes of compliance activity.
- Must be at high professional level in all types and methodologies of Drawback programs and processes to file and manage a Drawback claim.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with a high degree of professionalism and interpersonal skills
- Effectively communicate and liaise between GTC and internal and external parties
- Highly organized with strong attention to detail and accuracy-Must be able to properly archive both electronically and within the established JuuL processes
- Ability to manage several projects of varying complexity simultaneously and effectively
WORK EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- Minimum of 8-10 years of trade compliance Drawback program operations experience. At least 4-5 years at a higher senior level role in the in-drawback operations (auditing and process development).
- Regular interaction and collaboration activities with various organizational functions domestically and globally
- Know how to conduct trade operations within an established ERP.
- Working knowledge and experience in using global import classifications.