JUUL's mission is to improve the lives of the world’s one billion adult smokers by driving innovation to eliminate cigarettes. JUUL is the number one US-based independent e-cigarette, selling millions of JUUL pods per month. Headquartered in San Francisco and backed by leading technology investors including Tiger Global, Fidelity Investments and Tao Invest LLC, JUUL Labs is disrupting one of the world’s largest and oldest industries.
We’re an exceptional team with backgrounds in technology, healthcare and biotech, and we’re growing rapidly to deliver on our mission. We’re actively looking to hire the world’s best scientists, engineers, designers, product managers, supply chain experts, customer service and business professionals.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
We are looking for an experienced Electrical Engineer to drive innovation for key R&D initiatives. He/she will be an integral part of the team collaborating across functions to deliver technology for our future product platforms. They are a high energy, effective individual contributor working to meet scope and schedule needs.
This position in Advanced Technology Platforms will conceive and develop innovative technologies that can be implemented into products. They will dream new concepts, create theoretical models and circuit simulations, develop prototypes and collect and present data to prove concepts. This is a hands-on role that will be responsible for designing new product concepts integrating technologies that are innovative, cost effective, that promise to deliver new user experiences. They will think creatively to solve difficult technological problems within a cross-functional team. They are a flexible, out of the box thinker and familiar with consumer products, electrical circuit design, system architecture, simulations, component selection, prototyping, board bring up, and data collection and analysis.
In addition, the Principal Electrical Engineer will work closely with internal and external partners to technically define electro-mechanical designs and ensure that all project requirements are met. You will be comfortable sketching and prototyping new ideas and be familiar with engineering best practices, concepts and procedures. We are looking for someone who is flexible and can respond quickly, energetically, and enthusiastically to changes. The person in this role should be a strong communicator who is able to lead effectively and work effectively with peers and management alike in a high-paced global environment.
- Design, build and verify technologies at system and module level
- Utilize first level principles to create and proof innovative concepts in the areas of power control, sensors, analog and mixed signal electronics and signal processing
- Circuit design, circuit simulations, schematic capture, PCB layout and prototype bring up
- Write embedded and high level software to support prototype hardware development and test
- Design with low level signals, signal conditioning, temperature control, perform power and error analysis
- Document designs and work closely with product development to transfer concepts into design
- Work seamlessly within a cross-functional organization. Poof concepts and present data.
- Work with and manage consultants and suppliers to develop best in class technologies
PERSONAL AND PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS:
- 12+ years of relevant electrical engineering experience
- You have architected and shipped high volume products demonstrating experience in system architecture and integration with strong emphasis in miniaturization and battery powered operation
- Experience in research, innovative concept development and proof of concepts
- Strong analog, mixed signal and power electronics design, sensors and low power electronics
- Schematic capture, circuit simulation and PCB layout, preferably with Altium Designer
- Design with embedded microcontrollers, Op-amps, DC-DC converters, chargers, ADC, DAC and PWM
- Experience with data acquisition systems, testing, data collection and analysis
- Experience with serial communication protocols like UART, I2C, SPI, I2S, SWI and USB
- Strong embedded software experience in C
- Experience with varieties of lab test equipment, oscilloscopes, logic analyzers, function generators, power supplies, SMU, high precision DMMs, data loggers, etc.
- Highly creative, self-motivated and technically curios
- Skilled in circuit tolerance analysis, design reviews and root cause analysis of complex issues
- Excellent verbal and written communication and presentation skills
- Team player, with a strong desire to learn new skills and grow professionally
- Previous experience with medical devices or other regulated products
- Experience with rechargeable battery powered electronics
- Experience with Python and other scripting languages
- Familiarity with wireless communications like Bluetooth
- Familiarity with Real-time Operating System (RTOS)
- Experience with designing electro-mechanical systems and PID controls
- Ability to multi-task, focus on details and ability to drive issues to resolution
- BS in Electrical Engineering or related field. Master’s degree is highly desirable.
JUUL LABS PERKS & BENEFITS:
- A place to grow your career. We’ll help you set big goals - and exceed them
- People. Work with talented, committed and supportive teammates.
- Equity and performance bonuses. Every employee is a stakeholder in our success.
- Daily catered lunch, boundless snacks and drinks
- Cell phone subsidy, commuter benefits and discounts on JUUL products
- Excellent medical, dental and vision benefits
- Location. Work in the heart of San Francisco, one of the world’s greatest cities.