JUUL's mission is to improve the lives of the world’s one billion adult smokers by driving innovation to eliminate cigarettes. JUUL is the number one US-based vapor product. Headquartered in San Francisco and backed by leading technology investors including Tiger Global, Fidelity Investments and Tao Invest LLC, JUUL Labs is disrupting one of the world’s largest and oldest industries.
We’re an exceptional team with backgrounds in technology, healthcare, CPG and biotech, and we’re growing rapidly to deliver on our mission. We’re actively looking to hire the world’s best scientists, engineers, designers, product managers, supply chain experts, customer service and business professionals.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
We are looking for a qualified Director of Material Science to contribute to R&D initiatives. The candidate is a high energy, enthusiastic, effective manager working to lead R&D projects. You will be leading a group in the advanced technologies department that is responsible for developing and characterizing novel material systems for use in JUUL products.
You are a flexible, out of the box thinker, an excellent mentor and coach, a hands-on scientist, a good communicator, and have significant practical experience developing material systems and in use of equipment to characterize materials.
- Work with a diverse team of talented and experienced scientists to lead development of material development and characterization for JUUL’s advanced technologies material science group
- You will lead and mentor your team to hone their technical abilities and push them forward in their careers, while expanding your own technical boundaries.
- You are an experienced hiring manager with excellent people and organizational skills.
- Work directly with your team and other stakeholders to define your team’s roadmap, together.
- Collaborate cross-functionally with other managers and engineers in R&D and Engineering to develop capability to characterize and fabricate new and useful materials and materials systems.
PERSONAL AND PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS:
- 10+ years of industry experience required
- Significant hands-on experience and understanding of surface physics, fluidics, chemical cross-linking, and bulk materials concepts
- Familiarity with tensiometer and DSA, and other liquid characterization methods.
- Strong communication and documentation skills
- Enthusiasm and scientific integrity
- 5+ years’ experience leading and managing teams of scientists in the instrumentation or materials industries.
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment with multiple concurrent priorities
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrated success in fabricating new materials and designing new processes
- Excellent project management skills
- Strong ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects while maintaining accuracy and meeting deadlines; able to balance short-term, urgent needs with long-term strategic initiatives
- Ph.D. in Materials Science or equivalent
JUUL LABS PERKS & BENEFITS:
- A place to grow your career. We’ll help you set big goals - and exceed them
- People. Work with talented, committed and supportive teammates
- Equity and performance bonuses. Every employee is a stakeholder in our success
- Boundless snacks and drinks
- Cell phone subsidy, commuter benefits and discounts on JUUL products
- Excellent medical, dental and vision benefits
- Location. Work in the heart of San Francisco, one of the world’s greatest cities
Vapor, JUUL, Work Culture, Fast Paced, Start-up, Growth, Vape, Technology, Software, Hardware, Consumer Electronics, Manufacturing, Design, Product, Disruptive, Revolutionary, Cutting Edge, App, Android, eCommerce, B2C, San Francisco, Bay Area, IoT, San Jose, Los Angeles