JUUL's mission is to improve the lives of the world’s one billion adult smokers by driving innovation to eliminate cigarettes. JUUL is the number one US-based independent e-cigarette, selling over four million JUULpods per month. Headquartered in San Francisco and backed by leading technology investors including Tiger Global, Fidelity Investments and Tao Invest LLC, JUUL Labs is disrupting one of the world’s largest and oldest industries.
We’re an exceptional team with backgrounds in technology, healthcare and biotech, and we’re growing rapidly to deliver on our mission. We’re actively looking to hire the world’s best scientists, engineers, designers, product managers, supply chain experts, customer service and business professionals.
The candidate will work closely with a cross functional team comprised of Electrical, Mechanical, and Manufacturing engineers to create PCB designs. The candidate will also serve as the CAD Librarian responsible for component library database. The candidate will support drawing package and output files. The candidate will contribute to PCB design guidelines and procedures.
Reporting to the Device and Accessories Mechanical Engineering manager, the ME will be leading development and some mechanical engineers to bring new products and major product improvements to market for JUUL Labs. This is a high-visibility position that will expose you to rewarding challenges and career growth opportunities.
This is a hands-on role that will be responsible for designing new products that are innovative, cost efficient, reliable, and ship on schedule. This role will drive the validation of concepts via early analysis, prototyping and testing, and work with cross-functional teams to ensure that product requirements are managed to achieve optimal experiences for our customers. In addition, the Mechanical Engineer will work closely with internal and external partners to technically define designs and ensure that all product and project requirements are met. You will troubleshoot and make improvements to existing products, and work closely with other members of the engineering staff to create optimal solutions to difficult design, structural, thermal, and battery life issues. You will be comfortable sketching and prototyping new ideas and be familiar with engineering best practices, concepts and procedures. We are looking for someone who is flexible and can respond quickly, energetically, and enthusiastically to changes. The person in this role should be a strong communicator who is able to lead effectively and work effectively with peers and management alike in a high-paced global environment.
- Responsible for the overall design, analysis, documentation and functional validation of mechanical components and assemblies
- Lead the development of JUUL Labs’ mechanical product architecture.
- Maintaining communication within the development team to create high quality products that delight our customers.
- Cross-functional organization, communication, and management
- Travel to support manufacturing builds
- Conduct and manage rapid feasibility studies to design for mechanical robustness, schedule, and cost.
- Facilitate design reviews.
- Work directly with part suppliers on DFM, tooling kick-off, tool bring-up, and tool/part qualification.
- Work directly with our CM partners in support of system assembly build activities.
- Root cause analysis and corrective action implementation as a result of build issues and reliability testing.
- Work with Quality and Manufacturing Engineering to define and implement validation testing plans and ensure all products meet reliability requirements
- Ensure successful development of mechanical tooling and production part qualification (i.e. first-article inspections, manufacturing process capabilities (Cp/Cpk), (GR&R), material certifications, etc.)
Skills and Experience Required
- Minimum 6 or more years of relevant Mechanical Engineering industry experience in one or more of the following areas: product design, new product release, test engineering, manufacturing support.
- Experience with medical devices or other regulated products is desirable.
- Minimum 6 or more years experience working with overseas suppliers and CM partners, specifically designing and ramping high volume parts and assemblies.
- Experience in designing consumer oriented products using a broad range of processes and materials, with an emphasis on cosmetic plastic molding and metal parts (sheet metal, CNC, extrusion, etc.).
- Experience with the development and integration of electro-mechanical components, such as flex circuits, batteries, and antennae.
- Expertise in one (or more of) the areas of: Statistical Analysis, Design of Experiments, FEA, CFD, Thermal Design, DFMEA, DFA, etc.
- Expertise in 3D MCAD, Solidworks preferred.
- An ability to communicate well with cross-functional team members, efficiently collaborate to achieve project goals, and contribute positively to the engineering community.
- Domestic and international travel up to 25%.
- Ability to multi-task or focus on detailed problems, and tenacity to drive issues until resolved.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Self-motivated, team player, with a strong desire to learn new skills and grow.
- BS in Mechanical Engineering, or related field. Associate’s degree with significant experience will be considered. Master’s degree is a plus.
JUUL LABS PERKS & BENEFITS:
- A place to grow your career. We’ll help you set big goals - and exceed them
- People. Work with talented, committed and supportive teammates
- Equity and performance bonuses. Every employee is a stakeholder in our success
- Boundless snacks, drinks, and catered daily lunch
- Cell phone subsidy, commuter benefits and discounts on JUUL products
- Full medical, dental and vision benefits
- Location. Offices in San Francisco, Mountain View and New York
Vapor, JUUL, Work Culture, Fast Paced, Start-up, Growth, Vape, Technology, Software, Hardware, Consumer Electronics, Manufacturing, Design, Product, Disruptive, Revolutionary, Cutting Edge, App, Android, eCommerce, B2C, San Francisco, Bay Area, IoT, San Jose, Los Angeles