JUUL's mission is to improve the lives of the world’s one billion adult smokers by driving innovation to eliminate cigarettes.
Headquartered in San Francisco and backed by leading technology investors, JUUL Labs is the number one US-based independent e-cigarette, disrupting one of the world’s largest and oldest industries.
We’re an exceptional team with backgrounds in technology, healthcare and biotech, and we’re growing rapidly to deliver on our mission. We’re actively looking to hire the world’s best scientists, engineers, designers, product managers, supply chain experts, customer service and business professionals.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Reporting into the UK Director of Marketing Communications, the Corporate Communications Lead will be based in London and work closely with the UK and EMEA communications teams and agencies to execute external public relations efforts to drive awareness and positive perception of JUUL Labs, its mission and its product(s).
The role predominately focusses on corporate PR, spanning crisis/issues management, stakeholder comms, proactive and reactive media relations - including broadcast (TV, radio, podcasts), print (national, regional) and influential online channels in the UK. The role requires close and integrated collaboration with the UK Government Affairs team.
The Corporate Comms Lead will have proven experience in managing challenging media narratives, industry stakeholders and be a strategic storyteller for top tier media audiences.
They will act as front-line media contact – alongside the Director - for press in the UK (managing firstname.lastname@example.org) and will harness relationships with key titles.
Core focus for this role:
- Work closely with government affairs to develop integrated communications and public affairs plans that will grow the JUUL Labs corporate profile and positive reputation in the U.K.
- In collaboration with the Marcomms Director, manage the public relations agency to deliver the annual PR communications and media plan through national and regional publications incl. broadcast, print and digital.
- Drive the company/category youth protection programme, developing strategic and engaging narrative that can flex and resonate with key external stakeholders.
- Map, forge and maintain positive key opinion stakeholder relationships, with ability to devise proactive programmes for engagement and media deployment, spanning academia, industry and third sector
- Ability to understand and interpret research and scientific data, developing clear and positive media narratives for health and science correspondents, as well as policy audiences.
- Build and maintain proactive relationships with a broad range of media titles (editor-level across key sectors incl Health, Business and Social Affairs) through background briefings or sell-ins. Ensuring joined-up working practices with US and EMEA comms stakeholders
- Work with core teams to invite and host key stakeholders/media to relevant events, leveraging and building relationships. Ensure the activities will be engaging to the media community, where appropriate.
- Excellent writing skills with the ability to write speeches, Op-Eds, Q&As, statements and briefing documents for both media and speaking platforms
- Deep understanding of the media landscape with the ability to flex strategically across any news agenda.
- Manage direct reports i.e. PR Manager and Junior Press Officer, working alongside the Snr Campaigns Manager.
- Develop and lead the reporting against KPI’s for all communications with the agency partners, ensuring close monitoring of media and social commentary through relevant tools.
PERSONAL AND PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS:
- Extensive experience (minimum of 10 years) of media relations, external and internal communications.
- Successful track record of securing tactical stories in business/health/wellness/tech/ publications with top tier media, including Editor level.
- Ability to manage, prepare and guide any senior management involved in external media communication or public/industry events.
- Experience developing company messaging that resonates with key audiences.
- Ability to work collaboratively and effectively across multiple functions and regional stakeholders, with experience working with marketing functions to support community initiatives, speaking engagements and other promotional campaigns.
- Preferred: Experience in health (Govt or private sector), tech or beverage or proven experience working in a regulated industry.
- Ability to remain focused under pressure, tackle complex tasks and issues with determination in a busy environment and in the face of resistance – a can-do attitude.
Bachelor’s Degree, preferably with a focus on communications or journalism
JUUL LABS PERKS & BENEFITS:
- A place to grow your career. We’ll help you set big goals - and exceed them
- Work with talented, committed and supportive teammates
- Equity and performance bonuses. Every employee is a stakeholder in our success
- Work in the heart of London, one of the best cities in the world