About JUUL Labs:
James Monsees and Adam Bowen co-founded JUUL when they applied their background in product design to the challenge of finding a better alternative to smoking. They’d been smokers for many years, but they were increasingly dissatisfied with the health and social impacts of cigarettes. When they could find no attractive alternative to cigarettes, James and Adam recognized a groundbreaking opportunity to apply industrial design to the smoking industry, which had not materially evolved in over one hundred years. As smokers, they knew a viable alternative to cigarettes would have to offer nicotine satisfaction found in no other alternative on the market. It would also have to invite its own ritual. The result was JUUL.
We seek a highly motivated Site Technical Manager to be part of our growing Manufacturing Operations Engineering & Sustaining group. This person will be responsible for managing daily sustaining engineering operations at one or more of our partner contract manufacturing sites.
- Manage the execution of high-volume manufacturing at our Contract Manufacturing sites for potentially multiple of our products/processes: device, e-liquid pod assembly, fill & packaging sites.
- Must be familiar with Packaging equipment and process, such as Assembly, Tray installation labeling, Glue application, shrink wrap etc.
- Leverage the CMs to sustain the sites to ensure quality, availability, and output achieve daily targets
- Co-own and drive sites key engineering metrics (yield, availability, overall OEE, etc.)
- Oversites day to day engineering and sustaining activities at the CM site and align with cross functional groups on tactical and strategic activities
- Review site quality and yield metrics with the local JUUL and Contract Manufacturing team to determine improvement opportunities
- Push preventative maintenance scheduling as well as spare parts readiness/management across the site
- Drive CM accountability to ensure timely escalation and issue correction
- Drive the investigation of product, component, and/or material issues or supply constraints and assist with troubleshooting remotely and/or on-site at the manufacturing facilities
- Provide excursion support to the CM site and coordinate equipment suppliers as required to support downtime issues
- Ensure site adherence to agree upon manufacturing processes between JUUL and the contract manufacturer. Perform line walks and verification of operations.
- Spearheads Six Sigma (Problem Solving and Process Improvement) and Lean initiatives to develop project opportunities to gain rates of improvement from manufacturing lines
- 20-30% international and domestic travel is required.
Skills and Experience Required:
- 8+ years of industry experience with 5+ years’ experience with high volume FDA regulated manufacturing and/or process development
- Excellent project management skills with strong ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects while maintaining accuracy and meeting deadlines.
- Strong ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects while maintaining accuracy and meeting deadlines. The individual should be able to balance short-term, urgent needs with long-term strategic initiatives.
- The preferred candidate should have previous experience in a few of the following areas: Design Controls, Change Control and Validation within a FDA regulated industry, Design for Manufacturing (DFM), Lean Manufacturing, Process Control Concepts, Design of Experiments (DOE), and design/process Failure Mode and Effects Analysis (FMEA).
- Good understanding of statistical methods, six sigma methodologies, design of experiments and lean.
- Ability to make decisions and take accountability for those decisions, with limited information, in high pressure time limited situations.
- Detail orientation with a strong quality mindset. Enjoy working in a team environment.
- Clear verbal, written, and presentation skills and demonstrated ability to communicate effectively across all business levels and functions, both internally and at vendors
- Minimum Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering or related technical discipline. Advanced degree preferred.