JUUL Lab's mission is to improve the lives of the world’s one billion adult smokers by driving innovation to eliminate cigarettes. JUUL Labs is the number one US-based vapour product. Headquartered in San Francisco and backed by leading technology investors including Tiger Global, Fidelity Investments and Tao Invest LLC, JUUL Labs is disrupting one of the world’s largest and oldest industries.
We’re an exceptional team with backgrounds in technology, healthcare, CPG and biotech, and we’re growing rapidly to deliver on our mission. We’re actively looking to hire the world’s best scientists, engineers, designers, product managers, supply chain experts, customer service and business professionals.
ABOUT THE ROLE:
JUUL Labs has built a large, important global patent, design and trademark portfolio. As with other successful brands, counterfeiting and copying of various protected JUUL Labs technologies must be appropriately managed. Policing and enforcement of JUUL Lab’s portfolio requires both deep strategic and tactical execution.
As a Senior Intellectual Property International Enforcement Counsel EMEA, reporting to the Director of Intellectual Property, EMEA, you will implement and manage processes that ensure smooth evaluation, strategic planning and execution of selected international enforcement's of JUUL Labs’ patent, designs and trademarks, as well as assist in the further development and management of those portfolios for enforcement actions in your regions of focus. You will help lead internal and external teams in management and execution of these efforts. You will help us build scalable tools and processes that work in the setting of a fast-growing global business.
You must bring exceptional legal and business judgment and creativity to your daily role and have a track record both of collaborating and thriving in a fast-paced team environment. You must also be willing to pitch in with a diverse range of administrative and operational tasks, as needed, driving projects directly without detailed oversight, and work seamlessly and effectively with internal clients at all levels of the company and across all functional groups, and with external counsel and other IP resources.
The role will be based in our EMEA Headquarters in Holborn, London.
Assess, track and manage potential international patent, design, trademark, copyright, unfair competition and other intellectual property infringements of JUUL Labs-related IP within the EMEA region.
- Coordinate with local JUUL Labs internal and external counsels.
- Working with and managing outside counsel resources to assess, triage, develop action plans and execute targeted enforcement actions, as appropriate in each circumstance.
- Develop and present planning documents and time and cost budgets for each such enforcement action.
- Manage document collection and other discovery issues for enforcement actions.
- Coordinate with your fellow JUUL Labs Intellectual Property group colleagues, internal brand protection team members, other internal personnel, and outside counsel on enforcement strategies and actions taken to protect and enforce the IP portfolios.
- Work with outside litigation counsel, and track & review workflows, to ensure patent, design, trademark and other IP assertion deadlines are met, helping strategize efforts and review filings and documents.
- Update reporting tools and materials for management and board-level reviews of portfolio status.
- Assist other legal team-members regarding IP-related issues.
- Organize and review documents and maintain files.
- Assist with other legal and compliance projects including due diligence requests, as directed by in-house counsel.
EDUCATION & QUALIFICATIONS:
The successful candidate will hold a degree with strong academic credentials and will have obtained both undergraduate degree and a law degree from a college or university of recognized standing.
- Bachelor’s Degree (LLB, BA or BSc) or higher.
- Technical undergraduate or graduate degree preferred, in science, engineering or other technical fields relevant to JUUL products and services.
- Solicitor or equivalent professional qualification; qualification in major EMEA markets (UK, Germany, France, Italy, Spain or Israel) preferred.
- 6-12 years’ experience in a highly regarded in house legal department or law firm focused especially on the enforcement of intellectual property matters.
- In house IP enforcement experience within a regulated sector.
- Significant experience managing and coordinating multijurisdictional IP litigation.
- Highly developed understanding of competition law issues.
- General working knowledge of filing processes for patents (and ideally trademarks) in key global jurisdictions.
- General working knowledge of IP litigation law and procedures in key European (and potentially other global) jurisdictions.
- Must be a team player, able to handle ambiguity, and anticipate and react to changes quickly in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong ability to drive and manage multiple projects and competing priorities. Must be well organized, efficient, and detail-oriented.
- High level of self-motivation and demonstrated capacity for independent judgment, planning, evaluation, and decision-making.
- Understanding of risk assessment and risk management.
- Foreign language skills; fluency language of major EMEA markets (Germany, France, Italy, Spain or Israel) preferred
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work collaboratively with multiple stakeholders.
- Demonstrated ability to facilitate and lead cross-cutting process enhancement efforts.
Key Attributes Necessary for Success:
Dynamic and disciplined thinker with intellectual horsepower, an entrepreneurial spirit and a passion for making a mark in fast-paced, growing environments.
- Natural leader and engaged team player with strong interpersonal capabilities.
- Able to juggle and successfully prioritize competing and voluminous work streams simultaneously.
- Inspires a culture of innovation, execution, collaboration, accountability, positivity, and fun.
- Comfortable with risk – business enabling and sees the long path.
- High degree of organization and efficiency with demonstrated attention to detail.
- Superior written and verbal communication skills (including presentations).
- Highest ethical standards, integrity, authenticity, credibility and character.
- Strong work ethic and a willingness to go the extra mile.
- Professional demeanour and ability to interact with persuasiveness and confidence.
- Demonstrated relationship-building skills; ability to appreciate people with different backgrounds and points of view and ability to create an inclusive environment.
- Candid and personally secure. Ability and willingness to seek and receive feedback constructively.
JUUL Perks & Benefits:
- A place to grow in your career, we’ll help you set objectives and meet them
- Supportive team members and hiring managers
- Generous referral bonuses
- Fully stocked snacks and drinks
- We’ll equip you with a MacBook or Dell
- Full benefits (medical/dental/vision) for you and subsidized for your dependents
- Equity JUUL Labs is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE).
Base salary range: £105,000 to £130,000 per annum plus performance related bonus.
Applicants are considered for employment without regard to age, race, colour, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression, disability or veteran status.
Applications for this role must be received by the 19th July 2019