JUUL's mission is to improve the lives of the world’s one billion adult smokers by driving innovation to eliminate cigarettes. JUUL is the number one US-based vapor product. Headquartered in San Francisco and backed by leading technology investors including Tiger Global, Fidelity Investments and Tao Invest LLC, JUUL Labs is disrupting one of the world’s largest and oldest industries.
We’re an exceptional team with backgrounds in technology, healthcare, CPG and biotech, and we’re growing rapidly to deliver on our mission. We’re actively looking to hire the world’s best scientists, engineers, designers, product managers, supply chain experts, customer service and business professionals.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
JUUL Labs is seeking an innovative and highly trained applied behavioral scientist passionate about the JUUL mission and excited to apply behavioral science principles and research to our product development process. Our product goals are to enable any smoker to switch from combustible cigarettes to vapor products, and to provide smokers with the tools to reduce or eliminate their consumption entirely, should they so desire. At the same time, we don’t want anyone who is underage, or who does not already smoke or consume nicotine to use JUUL products. The product team is working on solutions to meet each of these goals, and the Senior Manager, Behavioral Science will be an important leader in the product team’s efforts to serve the customer and our mission. This role will report to the Director of Product Management and will be involved in some of the company’s most important strategic efforts.
- Apply behavioral science insights and principles to our product design and development process to further JUUL Labs’ mission; use documentation and research that drive psychological frameworks for testing in R&D and UX research
- Recruit, organize and coordinate an internal and advisory council of behavioral modification, social science, public health, clinical, and psychological experts to inform the product development process
- Be customer obsessed and relentlessly curious; strive to understand the nuances of our customers and our unique behavioral change objectives with qualitative & quantitative primary & secondary research.
- Distill complex research and scientific principles into actionable insights
- Communicate these insights to diverse audiences across groups and seniority levels; you are willing and eager to champion your position amongst company executives
- Conceptualize theoretically plausible interventions by use of your research methods and expertise in the field
- Work collaboratively with product, design, and UX research to inform feature design and testing based on behavioral change principles
- Be intellectually curious and open to innovation, but maintain objectivity and challenge when necessary to ensure that the focus remains on scientific foundations.
- Advocate behavioral science methods more broadly across the company and generalize learnings into a framework that can help bring behavioral science to scale.
- Build a team to further behavioral science efforts in the company
- PhD or Masters in a behavioral science discipline (behavioral economics, cognitive or social psychology, sociology, public health or a related discipline)
- 5+ years of applied industry experience (3+ years for those with PhD), preferably in consumer technology seeking to address deeply ingrained consumer habits (e.g. nutrition, financial behaviors, fitness)
- Strong foundation in data collection, statistical inference, and the application of causal modeling methods; experience with experimental and quasi-experimental design and analysis
- Working knowledge and/or experience in health and wellness is preferred
- Hands on experience and current knowledge of the behavior change field; from an understanding of new techniques related to behavior modification to direct experience working with customers to refine behavior change programs.
- Experience applying behavioral science insights to drive digital product decisions
- Demonstrated ability to work in cross-functional teams as a strong team player as well as independently.
- Successful history and ability to handle several fast-paced projects concurrently; exceptional project management and execution skills.
- Experience building things from scratch and working effectively in evolving, fluid and fast-paced environments.
- Excellent strategic thinking, communication, and presentation skills to scientific and non-scientific audiences up through the executive level.
- Management experience of direct reports
KEY CHARACTERISTICS NECESSARY FOR SUCCESS:
- Mission driven: we act in the best interest of the customer
- Deeply curious: we seek to understand, and ask “Why?” repeatedly
- Relentless and crystal-clear communication: we sniff out and resolve ambiguity
- Objective and analytical: we seek data and know the difference between facts and opinions
- Synthesis: inspiration comes from many sources. We work cross-functionally to bring out the best ideas and build the best possible plan
- Big plans, small ego: we’re committed to our vision, our plan, and our team
- Follow through: we do what we say we’ll do. We seek accountability for ourselves and expect it from others
- Servant leadership: we are strong cross-functional leaders. Our colleagues give us permission to lead not because the org chart dictates it, but because we’ve earned their respect by helping them to be the best they can be
- We get our hands dirty: plans are nothing without execution
JUUL LABS PERKS & BENEFITS:
- A place to grow your career. We’ll help you set big goals - and exceed them
- People. Work with talented, committed and supportive teammates
- Equity and performance bonuses. Every employee is a stakeholder in our success
- Boundless snacks and drinks
- Cell phone subsidy, commuter benefits and discounts on JUUL products
- Excellent medical, dental and vision benefits
- Location. Work in the heart of San Francisco, one of the world’s greatest cities