JUUL was founded by former smokers, James and Adam, with the goal of improving the lives of the one billion adult smokers. We envision a world where fewer people use cigarettes, and where people who smoke cigarettes have the tools to reduce or eliminate their consumption entirely, should they so desire.
JUUL's mission is to improve the lives of the world’s one billion adult smokers by driving innovation to eliminate cigarettes. JUUL is the number one US-based vapor product. Headquartered in San Francisco and backed by leading technology investors including Tiger Global, Fidelity Investments and Tao Invest LLC, JUUL Labs is disrupting one of the world’s largest and oldest industries.
We’re an exceptional team with backgrounds in technology, healthcare, CPG and biotech, and we’re growing rapidly to deliver on our mission. We’re actively looking to hire the world’s best scientists, engineers, designers, product managers, supply chain experts, customer service and business professionals.
Reporting to the Director of Engineering Operations, JUUL Labs is looking for a Packaging Engineer to support projects involving JUUL Labs’ product packaging.
As a member of a fast-paced multi-disciplinary team, you use your creativity and engineering experience to find solutions to a variety of engineering problems. You participate in the design, analysis, and prototyping of new concepts and procedures within a manufacturing and product oriented development environment, and collaborate with outside sources in order to see concepts through to mass production.
As a Packaging Engineer, you will be responsible for the design, qualification, and delivery of consumer electronic and consumable-goods product packaging within an FDA-regulated development environment. Packaging Engineers need to have a strong understanding of the packaging development and manufacturing processes - from packaging design to reliability testing, various types of packaging material manufacturing, and production line bring-up. You will interact with Marketing, Product Design, Quality, Reliability, and Manufacturing teams to scope and set forward new initiatives, capturing specifications and being responsible for the qualification processes for new materials, suppliers, and assembly procedures. You will need a high degree of flexibility and ability to deal with ambiguity. Success is defined in terms of the quality and timeliness of the pre-production builds and the start of mass production.
The candidate will have a background in structural packaging development, ASTM testing protocol definition, functional and cosmetic standard definition, and experience working with a variety of packaging technologies, including but not limited to: folding cartons, paper pulp, rigid boxes, blister cards, corrugated materials, and palletizations. The candidate will be someone who can articulate and drive the considerations required to deliver the best overall design for the customer, distribution and manufacturing while operating within controlled procedures.
They will manage complex package development, leverage supplier resources and successfully push process and material limits to deliver practical, impactful results. This person will develop and improve the Packaging function of the business to meet changing complex logistical requirements, safely deliver product worldwide, and create positive customer experiences.
- Be responsible for the concept, design, development, documentation creation, validation and release of packaging.
- Interact with suppliers to develop packaging solutions from high-level design concepts.
- Collaborate with Hardware, Reliability, and Manufacturing Engineering, User Experience, Marketing, Operations and Logistics teams.
- Travel to support packaging vendors and manufacturing builds
- Work with Creative Team (or outside creative firms) on application of artwork and artwork revisions.
- Work closely with Packaging Engineering Manager to move relevant packaging projects through to manufacture
- Work closely with Packaging Engineering Manager for adherence to document control procedures
- Support packaging engineering investigations via vendor management, sampling builds and validation, internal golden sample coordination and sign-off
- Support quality systems around packaging acceptance criteria
- Oversee packaging testing at vendors or in-house
- Support Product Packaging development within engineering
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCES REQUIRED:
- BA/BS degree in Packaging Engineering, related Engineering or Science field, or equivalent practical experience.
- 5+ years in consumer product or pharmaceutical/medical device packaging
- 2+ years of project management experience
- Experience running packaging software such as ArtiosCAD, SolidWorks, TOPS/CAPE, AutoCAD
- Experience in creating Engineering Bills of Materials (BOM) structure, ECO, and documentation
- Experience with pharmaceutical packaging and labeling is a plus
- Experience with developing and creating test protocol and procedure
- Experience meeting production supply chain, transportation & agency requirements
- Experience with GMP and GDocP systems is a plus
- Ability to resolve design, logistics, and supplier issues over the package life
- Strong track record of shipping products and managing them through their entire life cycle
- Experience working with off-shore manufacturers and travel to manufacturing sites
- Strong technical background
- Strong organizational and management skills
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- International travel is required (approximately 20%).
JUUL LABS PERKS & BENEFITS:
- A place to grow your career. We’ll help you set big goals - and exceed them
- People. Work with talented, committed and supportive teammates
- Equity and performance bonuses. Every employee is a stakeholder in our success
- Boundless snacks and drinks
- Cell phone subsidy, commuter benefits and discounts on JUUL products
- Excellent medical, dental and vision benefits
- Location. Work in the heart of San Francisco, one of the world’s greatest cities