JUUL's mission is to improve the lives of the world’s 1.3 billion adult smokers by driving innovation to eliminate cigarettes. JUUL is the number one U.S.-based e-cigarette, selling over 20 million JUUL pods per month and growing fast. Headquartered in San Francisco and backed by leading technology investors, JUUL Labs is disrupting one of the world’s largest and oldest industries.
We’re an exceptional team with backgrounds in technology, healthcare and biotech, and we’re growing rapidly to deliver on our mission. We’re actively looking to hire the world’s best engineers, scientists, designers, product and program managers, supply chain and operations experts, customer service and business professionals.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Senior Mechanical Engineer will be joining an incredibly talented group of mechanical engineers tasked with bringing new products and major product improvements to market for JUUL Labs. This is a high-visibility position that that will expose you to rewarding challenges and career growth opportunities.
This is a hands-on role that will be responsible for designing new products that are innovative, cost efficient, reliable, and ship on schedule. This role will drive the validation of concepts via early analysis, prototyping and testing, and work with cross-functional teams to ensure that product requirements are managed to achieve optimal experiences for our customers. In addition, the Senior Mechanical Engineer will work closely with internal and external partners to technically define designs and ensure that all product and project requirements are met. You will troubleshoot and make improvements to existing products, and work closely with other members of the engineering staff to create optimal solutions to difficult design, structural, thermal, and battery life issues. You will be comfortable sketching and prototyping new ideas and be familiar with engineering best practices, concepts and procedures. We are looking for someone who is flexible and can respond quickly, energetically, and enthusiastically to changes. The person in this role should be a strong communicator who is able to lead effectively and work effectively with peers and management alike in a high-paced global environment.
- Responsible for the overall design, analysis, documentation and functional validation of mechanical components and assemblies
- Lead the development of JUUL Labs’ mechanical product architecture.
- Maintaining communication within the development team to create high quality products that delight our customers.
- Cross-functional organization, communication, and management
- Travel to support manufacturing builds
- Conduct and manage rapid feasibility studies to design for mechanical robustness, schedule, and cost.
- Facilitate design reviews.
- Work directly with part suppliers on DFM, tooling kick-off, tool bring-up, and tool/part qualification.
- Work directly with our CM partners in support of system assembly build activities.
- Root cause analysis and corrective action implementation as a result of build issues and reliability testing.
- Work with Quality and Manufacturing Engineering to define and implement validation testing plans and ensure all products meet reliability requirements
- Ensure successful development of mechanical tooling and production part qualification (i.e. first-article inspections, manufacturing process capabilities (Cp/Cpk), (GR&R), material certifications, etc.)
PERSONAL AND PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS
- Minimum 8 years of relevant Mechanical Engineering experience in one or more of the following areas: product design, new product release, test engineering, manufacturing support.
- Experience with medical devices or other regulated products is desirable.
- Minimum 8 years experience working with overseas suppliers and CM partners, specifically designing and ramping high volume parts and assemblies.
- Experience in designing consumer oriented products using a broad range of processes and materials, with an emphasis on cosmetic plastic molding and metal parts (sheet metal, CNC, extrusion, etc.).
- Experience with the development and integration of electro-mechanical components, such as flex circuits, batteries, and antennae.
- Expertise in one (or more of) the areas of: Statistical Analysis, Design of Experiments, FEA, CFD, Thermal Design, DFMEA, DFA, etc.
- Expertise in 3D MCAD, Solidworks preferred.
- An ability to communicate well with cross-functional team members, efficiently collaborate to achieve project goals, and contribute positively to the engineering community.
- Domestic and international travel up to 25%.
- Ability to multi-task or focus on detailed problems, and tenacity to drive issues until resolved.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Self-motivated, team player, with a strong desire to learn new skills and grow.
- BS or MS in Mechanical Engineering, or related field.
JUUL LABS PERKS & BENEFITS
- A place to grow your career. We’ll help you set big goals - and exceed them
- Work with talented, committed and supportive teammates
- Equity and performance bonuses. Every employee is a stakeholder in our success
- Boundless snacks and drinks
- Cell phone subsidy, commuter benefits and discounts on JUUL products
- Excellent medical, dental and vision benefits
- Work in the heart of San Francisco, one of the world’s greatest cities