JUUL's mission is to improve the lives of the world’s one billion adult smokers by driving innovation to eliminate cigarettes. JUUL is the number one US-based independent e-cigarette, selling over four million JUULpods per month. Headquartered in San Francisco and backed by leading technology investors including Tiger Global, Fidelity Investments and Tao Invest LLC, JUUL Labs is disrupting one of the world’s largest and oldest industries.
We’re an exceptional team with backgrounds in technology, healthcare and biotech, and we’re growing rapidly to deliver on our mission. We’re actively looking to hire the world’s best scientists, engineers, designers, product managers, supply chain experts, customer service and business professionals.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Senior Advanced Manufacturing Engineer is responsible for the definition, planning, coordination and execution of manufacturing automation, sustaining operations and process improvement for Juul devices and accessories. He/she ensures project budget, schedule, cost and qualification documentation are accurately forecasted and executed to meet the needs of JUUL Labs. The Senior Automation Engineer supports product development in the areas of requirements specification, design reviews, Failure Modes & Effects Analysis, and equipment qualification, field and site acceptance test (FAT/SAT). She/he regularly communicates status, risks and requirements to project teams, automation partners, contract manufacturers and JUUL Labs upper management in a timely manner.
Support the implementation of improved automated production methods, including the development and validation of automated handling and process equipment, performance monitors, spare parts management, document control, and training. The successful candidate will need to identify and solve problems related to production processes, equipment, metrology, and manufacturability.
- Oversees acceptance testing and installation of automated equipment at vendors and contract manufacturers, perform field and site acceptance test (FAT/SAT)
- Ensure Machine Operation, Service, PM manual, Mechanical and electrical drawings, software are controlled and updated.
- Collaborate with CM’s automation and/or equipment engineering team to identify areas and opportunity for improvement and implement resolution to automation challenges.
- Define critical and consumable spare parts lifetime.
- Coordinates and documents project designs, estimates, schedules and costs.
- Monitors and manages changes to project schedule, cost and scope changes to assure delivery requirements.
- Identifies, communicates and manages on-going project/technical risk as related to equipment and process development.
- Supports the development of process work instructions, calibration and preventive maintenance schedules and equipment qualification/validation documentation
- Complete project deliverables and monitor project schedule and scope changes to assure team can meet delivery requirements.
- Prepares standard reports/documentation to communicate status, risk and results.
PERSONAL AND PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS:
- 7+ years’ experience specifying, designing and/or qualifying automated manufacturing lines and robotic applications. High volume manufacturing experience is strongly preferred.
- 3+ years’ experience working on the key manufacturing processes utilized by Juul Labs (electronics component assembly and finished good assembly and liquid filling)
- Excellent project management skills are a must (PMP certification preferred)
- Strong ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects while maintaining quality and meeting deadlines. Individual should be able to balance short-term, urgent needs with long-term strategic initiatives.
- The ideal candidate will have previous experience in one or more of the following areas: Design for Manufacturing (DFM), Lean Manufacturing, Process Control Concepts, Design of Experiments (DOE), Software Validation and design/process Design Failure Mode and Effects Analysis (DFMEA).
KEY ATTRIBUTES NECESSARY FOR SUCCESS:
- Relevant automation / AME experience with high-volume device mfg (medical, pharma, consumer electronics or food/beverage industry)
- Strong Analytical Mind
- Attention to Detail
- Excellent Communication Skills
- Excellent Communication Skills
- Flexible and dynamic team player
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering (Mechanical or Electrical preferred). Advanced degree preferred.