JUUL's mission is to improve the lives of the world’s one billion adult smokers by driving innovation to eliminate cigarettes. JUUL is the number one US-based vapor product. Headquartered in San Francisco and backed by leading technology investors including Tiger Global, Fidelity Investments and Tao Invest LLC, JUUL Labs is disrupting one of the world’s largest and oldest industries.
We’re an exceptional team with backgrounds in technology, healthcare, CPG and biotech, and we’re growing rapidly to deliver on our mission. We’re actively looking to hire the world’s best scientists, engineers, designers, product managers, supply chain experts, customer service and business professionals.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Director, Policy Communications role will report directly to the Vice President, Policy Communications and be responsible for managing communications initiatives across a range of overlapping functions, including Investor Relations, Legal, Policy and Government Affairs, and Corporate Social Responsibility. Candidates should be able to independently manage complex communications rollouts requiring coordination across multiple internal departments and have deep media relations experience.
- Build a strategic communications narrative that communicates and supports JUUL’s mission to help adult smokers and eliminate cigarettes
- Create strategic communications plans around policy and regulatory milestones; including preparing for and responding to regulatory announcements and identifying opportunities to proactively communicate our policy positions at both the national and state levels, etc.
- Spearhead communications around corporate social responsibility initiatives, including establishing key third party stakeholder relationships
- Coordinate with Legal team to create proactive and reactive communications plans around litigation activity
- Liaise with internal Investor Relations team to assist with building JUUL’s financial communications program and ensuring other internal stakeholders are aware of financial communications topics and opportunities
- Ability to communicate in a complex matrix organization
- Establish deep relationships with top-tier regional and national press and third parties
- Manage outside communications consultants
- Report to Vice President, Policy Communications
- Main internal clients and contacts:
- Government Affairs / Policy
- Investor Relations
- Corporate Social Responsibility
- Litigation team and regulatory counsel
PERSONAL AND PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS:
- A minimum of 7+ years professional experience in communications, public relations, media or public affairs, preferably in a regulated industry
- A self-starter: Must be adaptable and able to work across functions, no day is the same as the one before
- Previous Financial, Regulatory, and Litigation Communications experience
- A great advocate: We’re looking for people who can distill complex ideas into simple, but intellectually credible, arguments. You’ll need to write well and have the ability to persuasively demonstrate how we’re executing on our mission to help adult smokers while preventing underage access to all vapor products
- Experience in a highly regulated industry (Biotech, Tech) preferred
- Demonstrated ability to problem solve and manage crisis communications
- Legal background – ability to translate legal filings into accessible communications as well as an understanding of the basic civil procedure timeline
- Financial communications / investor relations experience
- Bachelor’s Degree required; Advanced degree (Juris Doctor) preferred
JUUL LABS PERKS & BENEFITS:
- A place to grow your career. We’ll help you set big goals - and exceed them
- People. Work with talented, committed and supportive teammates
- Equity and performance bonuses. Every employee is a stakeholder in our success
- Boundless snacks and drinks
- Cell phone subsidy, commuter benefits and discounts on JUUL products
- Excellent medical, dental and vision benefits
- Location. Work in the heart of San Francisco, one of the world’s greatest cities.
- Remote option available, but must be open to travel to San Francisco HQ
JUUL Labs is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive work environment for all employees and job applicants, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. JUUL Labs also complies with the employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act. All applicants must have authorization to work for JUUL Labs in the US.