JUUL’s mission is to improve the lives of the world’s one billion adult smokers by driving innovation to eliminate cigarettes. JUUL is the number one US-based independent e-cigarette, selling over four million JUUL pods per month. Headquartered in San Francisco and backed by leading technology investors including Tiger Global, Fidelity Investments and Tao Invest LLC, JUUL Labs is disrupting one of the world’s largest and oldest industries. We’re an exceptional team with backgrounds in technology, healthcare and biotech, and we’re growing rapidly to deliver on our mission. We’re actively looking to hire the world’s best scientists, engineers, designers, product managers, supply chain experts, customer service and business professionals.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Sr. ME, Architecture will be joining an incredibly talented group of engineers tasked with bringing new products and major product improvements to market for JUUL Labs. This is a high-visibility position that that will expose you to rewarding challenges and career growth opportunities. This is a hands-on hardware design role that will be responsible for developing innovative, new capabilities for our products, that are cost efficient, reliable, and ship on schedule. This role will drive the validation of concepts via prototyping of devices with to-be qualified new components and subsystems. You will work with cross-functional teams within the Engineering and AT groups to ensure that all mechanical, electrical, and software product requirements are met. In addition, the Senior Mechanical Engineer, Architecture will work closely with internal and external partners to technically define designs and ensure that all product and project requirements are met.
You will work closely with other members of the engineering staff to create optimal solutions to difficult design, structural, thermal, and battery life issues. You will be comfortable sketching and prototyping new ideas in Solidworks and be familiar with engineering best practices, concepts and procedures. We are looking for someone who is flexible and can respond quickly, energetically, and enthusiastically to changes. The person in this role should be a strong communicator who is able to lead effectively and work effectively with peers and management alike in a fast-paced environment.
- Responsible for the overall design, analysis, documentation and functional verification of mechanical components and assemblies.
- Design of proof of concept instantiations of JUUL Labs pods and devices
- Provide leadership in the development of JUUL Labs’ mechanical prototypes architecture.
- Maintaining communication within the development team to create high quality product prototypes that validate new components and subsystems.
- Cross-functional organization, communication, and management
- Conduct and manage rapid feasibility studies to design for mechanical robustness, schedule, and cost.
- Perform rapid prototyping using 3D printers.
- Facilitate design reviews.
- Work directly with part suppliers and Engineering on DFM, tooling kick-off, tool bring-up, and tool/part qualification.
- Work with other engineers to bring up the hardware/software integration of proof of concept systems and products.
- Work with Quality and Manufacturing Engineering to define and implement validation testing plans and ensure all products meet reliability requirements
- PERSONAL AND PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS:
- 10+ years of mechanical engineering experience required
- Expert in CAD, preferably Solidworks
- Experience with medical devices or other regulated products is desirable.
- Experience with designing and integration of electro-mechanical components, such as flex circuits, batteries, sensors, and antennae.
- Experience in designing consumer oriented product concepts using a broad range of processes and materials, with an emphasis on metal parts (sheet metal, CNC, extrusion, etc.), and additive manufacturing.
- An ability to communicate well with cross-functional team members, efficiently collaborate to achieve project goals, and contribute positively to the engineering community. Ability to multi-task or focus on detailed problems, and tenacity to drive issues until resolved
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Self-motivated, team player, with a strong desire to learn new skills and grow.
- Expertise in one (or more of) the areas of: Statistical Analysis, Design of Experiments, FEA, CFD, Thermal Design, DFMEA, DFA, etc.
- BS or MS in Mechanical Engineering, or equivalent
JUUL LABS PERKS & BENEFITS:
- A place to grow your career. We’ll help you set big goals - and exceed them
- Work with talented, committed and supportive teammates
- Equity and performance bonuses. Every employee is a stakeholder in our success
- Boundless snacks and drinks
- Cell phone subsidy, commuter benefits and discounts on JUUL products
- Excellent medical, dental and vision benefits
- Work in the heart of San Francisco, one of the world’s greatest cities
Vapor, JUUL, Work Culture, Fast Paced, Start-up, Growth, Vape, Technology, Software, Hardware, Consumer Electronics, Manufacturing, Design, Product, Disruptive, Revolutionary, Cutting Edge, App, Android, eCommerce, B2C, San Francisco, Bay Area, IoT, San Jose, Los Angeles