JUUL’s mission is to improve the lives of the world’s one billion adult smokers by driving innovation to eliminate cigarettes. JUUL is the number one US-based independent e-cigarette, selling millions of JUUL pods per month. Headquartered in San Francisco and backed by leading technology investors including Tiger Global, Fidelity Investments and Tao Invest LLC, JUUL Labs is disrupting one of the world’s largest and oldest industries. We’re an exceptional team with backgrounds in technology, healthcare and biotech, and we’re growing rapidly to deliver on our mission. We’re actively looking to hire the world’s best scientists, engineers, designers, product managers, supply chain experts, customer service and business professionals.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Reporting to the Advanced Technology Group, the Senior Materials Scientist will develop new technologies and platforms as well as support the engineering team in development of new products. We are looking for an extraordinary, results-driven scientist with expertise in materials development, liquid flow in porous media such as fiber mat, porous membrane to make contributions towards developing and deploying an exciting and novel technology. You will join a small, yet growing, world-class team to lead or contribute to various research and development activities relating to this technology.
- Design and develop high wicking rate porous ceramic, polymer or composite media.
- Provide characterization methods for porous materials, textile and liquid flow in porous media
- Ability to simulate the liquid flow in 3D woven mats or composite materials
- Design and execute experimental research projects in collaboration with cross-functional teams
- Collaborate and assist with implementation of control and data acquisition systems
- Willing to learn and develop new skills by contributing to areas outside of expertise
- Assist with the generation of intellectual property, including identifying opportunities writing IP
- disclosures and working with patent attorneys
- Contribute to the generation and documentation of intellectual property
- Manage and train junior engineer
PERSONAL AND PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS:
- D with 5+ years academic or industry experience.
- Experience in porous materials synthesis, surface modification and characterization
- Strong understanding of practical fluid mechanics, surface science, and transport phenomena.
- Background in modeling of flow and liquid evaporation in porous media is plus
- Wet chemistry lab experience.
- Track record of design for manufacturability.
- Experience in industrial research environments, including product development or manufacturing.
- Optical, electrical or mechanical design and prototyping experience.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- PhD in physics, material science, chemistry, mechanical engineering, or any other related field of study with an emphasis on materials development, characterization and liquid flow measurement.
JUUL LABS PERKS & BENEFITS:
A place to grow your career. We’ll help you set big goals - and exceed them
- Work with talented, committed and supportive teammates
- Equity and performance bonuses. Every employee is a stakeholder in our success
- Boundless snacks and drinks
- Cell phone subsidy, commuter benefits and discounts on JUUL products
- Excellent medical, dental and vision benefits
- Work in the heart of San Francisco, one of the world’s greatest cities
Vapor, JUUL, Work Culture, Fast Paced, Start-up, Growth, Vape, Technology, Software, Hardware, Consumer Electronics, Manufacturing, Design, Product, Disruptive, Revolutionary, Cutting Edge, App, Android, eCommerce, B2C, San Francisco, Bay Area, IoT, San Jose, Los Angeles