JUUL's mission is to improve the lives of the world’s one billion adult smokers by driving innovation to eliminate cigarettes. JUUL is the number one US-based independent e-cigarette, selling over four million JUULpods per month. Headquartered in San Francisco and backed by leading technology investors including Tiger Global, Fidelity Investments and Tao Invest LLC, JUUL Labs is disrupting one of the world’s largest and oldest industries.
We’re an exceptional team with backgrounds in technology, healthcare and biotech, and we’re growing rapidly to deliver on our mission. We’re actively looking to hire the world’s best scientists, engineers, designers, product managers, supply chain experts, customer service and business professionals.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Health Economics, Data Science, and Research at JUUL Labs means working with ambiguous questions, varied and messy data sets, and applying scientific and analytical methods to help inform and drive business, product, and policy decisions. We see ourselves as scientific investigators and output-focused problem solvers who value strong conceptual thinking and superb communication skills. There will be fascinating questions as well as a wealth of data and tools available.
We are looking for an experienced research economist who specializes in applying statistical methods to analyze the impact of a product or intervention, from conception and study design to data analysis and presentation of results. Projects in this role will range from deriving behavioral insights about users based on survey data, to using causal inference to understand the public health impact of the product, to analyzing and modeling product performance and economic data. You will get the chance to work cross-functionally with a wide range of departments and help fundamentally deepen our understanding of our consumers, product performance, behavioral health and policy with applied research and analytics.
This role offers tremendous upwards exposure towards senior business leaders and the chance to truly impact decision-making in a rapidly growing startup.
- MS or PhD degree from a top university or equivalent in a quantitative field (ex. Economics, quantitative Social Science, Biostatistics, Health Services Research)
- 3+ years applicable experience in leading research projects and working with different datasets
- Strong foundation in probability, statistics, causal inference and statistical modeling
- Excellent skills in Python (ideally) or R
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Experience with survey analytics, healthcare data and insights generation
- Proven track record delivering high-value output in a fast-paced, high-stakes environment
- Experience supporting peer-reviewed publications and scientific presentations
- Experience with SQL, GCP/BigQuery and Tableau is a plus
YOU WILL ENJOY THE ROLE IF:
- You get excited about taking ownership of problems and solving them in a fast-paced and scrappy environment working cross-functionally with both technical and non-technical people
- You are output focused and see data science as a powerful tool to get things done rather than as an end in itself
- You are a strong critical thinker with a passion for understanding complex issues and are comfortable working on ambiguous problems
JUUL LABS PERKS & BENEFITS:
- A place to grow your career. We’ll help you set big goals - and exceed them
- People. Work with talented, committed and supportive teammates
- Equity and performance bonuses. Every employee is a stakeholder in our success
- Boundless snacks and drinks
- Cell phone subsidy, commuter benefits and discounts on JUUL products
- Excellent medical, dental and vision benefits
- Location. Work in the heart of San Francisco, one of the world’s greatest cities