JUUL's mission is to improve the lives of the world’s one billion adult smokers by driving innovation to eliminate cigarettes. JUUL is the number one US-based vapor product. Headquartered in San Francisco and backed by leading technology investors including Tiger Global, Fidelity Investments and Tao Invest LLC, JUUL Labs is disrupting one of the world’s largest and oldest industries.
We’re an exceptional team with backgrounds in technology, healthcare, CPG and biotech, and we’re growing rapidly to deliver on our mission. We’re actively looking to hire the world’s best scientists, engineers, designers, product managers, supply chain experts, customer service and business professionals.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
We are looking for a qualified Director of Architecture to contribute to R&D initiatives. The candidate is a high energy, enthusiastic, effective manager working to lead R&D projects. You will be leading a group in the advanced technologies department that is responsible for developing and deploying next generation e-Cigarette devices and pods.
You are a flexible, out of the box thinker, a hands-on scientist, and a good communicator. Desired, but not required, you will have significant practical experience developing pod-based e-Cigarette devices. Also desired, is experience with the fluid physics or microfluidics. You are an experienced people manager including management of first and second level managers.
- Work with a diverse team of talented and experienced engineers to lead development of pod and device architecture for Juul’s advanced technologies architecture group
- You will lead and mentor your team to hone their technical abilities and push them forward in their careers, while expanding your own technical boundaries.
- You are an experienced hiring manager with excellent people and organizational skills, including experience managing first and second line managers.
- Work directly with your team and other stakeholders to define your team’s roadmap, together.
- Collaborate cross-functionally with other managers and engineers in R&D and Engineering to develop capability in e-Cigarette device and pod technology.
PERSONAL AND PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS:
- 10+ years of industry experience required
- Significant hands-on experience and a solid understanding of mechanics and physics principles, and ideally, microfluidics scientific concepts
- Strong communication and documentation skills
- Enthusiasm and scientific integrity
- 5+ years’ experience leading and managing teams of scientists in an R&D environment.
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment with multiple concurrent priorities.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated success in designing new products and new processes.
- Excellent project management skills.
- Strong ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects while maintaining productivity; able to balance short-term, urgent needs with long-term strategic initiatives
- MS or Ph.D in Mechanical Engineering or Physics or equivalent
JUUL LABS PERKS & BENEFITS:
- A place to grow your career. We’ll help you set big goals - and exceed them
- People. Work with talented, committed and supportive teammates
- Equity and performance bonuses. Every employee is a stakeholder in our success
- Boundless snacks and drinks
- Cell phone subsidy, commuter benefits and discounts on JUUL products
- Excellent medical, dental and vision benefits
- Location. Work in the heart of San Francisco, one of the world’s greatest cities