SENIOR PR MANAGER, UK
Start date: ASAP (latest June 2019)
JUUL's mission is to improve the lives of the world’s one billion adult smokers by driving innovation to eliminate cigarettes.
Headquartered in San Francisco and backed by leading technology investors, JUUL Labs is the number one US-based independent e-cigarette, disrupting one of the world’s largest and oldest industries.
We’re an exceptional team with backgrounds in technology, healthcare and biotech, and we’re growing rapidly to deliver on our mission. We’re actively looking to hire the world’s best scientists, engineers, designers, product managers, supply chain experts, customer service and business professionals.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Reporting into the UK Director of Marketing Communications, the Senior PR Manager will be based in London and work closely with the UK and EMEA communications teams and agencies to execute external public relations efforts to drive awareness of JUUL Labs, its mission and its product(s).
The role predominately focuses on corporate and consumer PR, spanning crisis/issues management, stakeholder comms, proactive and reactive media relations - including broadcast (TV, radio, podcasts), print (national, regional, magazines) and influential online channels/blogs in the UK. The role requires close and integrated collaboration with the UK trade media Manager and wider campaign team.
He/she will support marketing initiatives by developing and implementing complementary PR campaigns and will focus on building the JUUL brand via a highly proactive news calendar. They will also lead and execute the testimonial program creating and growing the community of JUUL advocates.
The Senior PR Manager will have proven experience in running PR campaigns and working with media relations tacticians, as well as being a good writer and strategic storyteller – someone who can tie together key messages to build stories/campaigns that resonate with JUUL Labs’ core audience of adult smokers seeking to permanently switch away from combustible cigarettes.
They will act as front-line media contact – alongside the Director - for press in the UK (managing email@example.com) and will harness relationships with key titles. To be successful in this role, the candidate will need to be a creative and strategic self-starter, someone who can create impact quickly.
Core focus for this role:
- Develop and execute compelling communication campaigns to drive awareness of JUUL Labs, its products and its mission with its core audience of adult smokers and public stakeholders.
- Work closely with marketing and government affairs to develop integrated communications, public affairs and marketing plans that will grow the JUUL brand and positive reputation in the U.K.
- Lead and deliver the community program and management, creating a cohort of JUUL advocates for earned, owned and paid media use.
- In collaboration with the Marcomms Director, manage the public relations agency to deliver the annual PR communications and media plan through national and regional publications inc. broadcast, print and digital.
- Drive the company/category youth prevention programme, developing strategic and engaging content that can flex and resonate with key external stakeholders.
- Work with core teams to invite and host key stakeholders/media to relevant events, leveraging and building relationships. Ensure the activities will be engaging to the media community, where appropriate.
- Building and maintaining proactive relationships with a broad range of media titles across the UK through background briefings or sell-ins, alongside the PR agency. Ensuring joined-up working practices with US and EMEA comms stakeholders.
- Excellent writing skills with the ability to write press releases, Op-Eds, Q&As, statements and briefing documents.
- Deep understanding of the media landscape with the ability to flex strategically across any news agenda.
- Develop and lead the reporting against KPI’s for all communications with the agency partners.
PERSONAL AND PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS:
- Extensive experience (minimum of 6-8 years) of media relations, external and internal communications.
- Successful track record of securing tactical stories in business/health/wellness/tech/lifestyle publications, blogs and other relevant short/long-lead outlets.
- Ability to manage, prepare and guide any senior management involved in external media communication or public/industry events.
- Proven experience working in a regulated industry.
- Experience working with the marketing function to support in-market promotions, community initiatives, speaking engagements and other promotional campaigns.
- Experience developing company messaging that resonates with key audiences.
- Ability to work collaboratively and effectively.
- Experience managing vendors and meeting budgets.
- Preferred: Experience in health tech, beverage – alcohol and/or FMCG
- The ability to remain focused under pressure, organise priorities, tackle complex tasks and issues with determination in a busy environment and in the face of resistance – a can-do attitude.
- A proven track record of working on proactive announcements, launches and campaigns.
Bachelor’s Degree, preferably with a focus on communications or journalism
JUUL LABS PERKS & BENEFITS:
- A place to grow your career. We’ll help you set big goals - and exceed them
- Work with talented, committed and supportive teammates
- Equity and performance bonuses. Every employee is a stakeholder in our success
- Work in the heart of London, one of the best cities in the world