JUUL's mission is to improve the lives of the world’s one billion adult smokers by driving innovation to eliminate cigarettes. JUUL is the number one US-based vapor product. Headquartered in San Francisco and backed by leading technology investors including Tiger Global, Fidelity Investments and Tao Invest LLC, JUUL Labs is disrupting one of the world’s largest and oldest industries.
We’re an exceptional team with backgrounds in technology, healthcare, CPG and biotech, and we’re growing rapidly to deliver on our mission. We’re actively looking to hire the world’s best scientists, engineers, designers, product managers, supply chain experts, customer service and business professionals.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
JUUL Labs is looking for a Senior Flavor Chemist to join our R&D team. In this role, you will work in our Flavors and Applications Lab in Pasadena and report to the Director of Flavors.
- Able to create flavors for e-liquids from scratch
- Willing to compound flavor formulas and e-liquids as required at the bench
- Work with Regulatory and Toxicology to ensure all raw materials meet specific requirements
- Participate in the evaluation of raw materials (including experimental ingredients), new technology, and flavors. Provide flavor performance feedback
- Stay up to date with latest technical knowledge in terms of flavor ingredients, formulations and processes through networking, interacting with suppliers, study and training
- Help train the junior staff by sharing your knowledge and approach to flavor creation
- Maintain organized and efficient laboratory equipment and environment
- Provide technical flavor support to internal and external customers as needed
- Maintain all required formula records and documentation in company database software
- Precise lab record/data keeping
- Effectively communicate with related departments on projects and products as required
PERSONAL AND PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS:
- Must be a Certified member of the Society of Flavor Chemist with a minimum of 10 years in the Flavor Industry.
- Must be able to create flavors from scratch and be willing to do benchwork
- Extensive knowledge of basic flavor raw materials and regulations governing the flavor and food industries
- Experience following principles and making informed decisions
- Strong troubleshooting skills and ability to identify analyze and solve problems
- Excellent professional written and verbal communication skills
- Strong creative, organizational, and project management skills
- Ability to work in a challenging and fast paced environment with changing practices
- Understands regional taste differences and preferences
- Strong math, MS Excel skills. Knowledge of FlavorCIS and Propel a plus
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree, preferably in food science, chemistry, or applied sciences
JUUL LABS PERKS & BENEFITS:
- A place to grow your career. We’ll help you set big goals - and exceed them
- People. Work with talented, committed and supportive teammates
- Equity and performance bonuses. Every employee is a stakeholder in our success
- Cell phone subsidy, commuter benefits and discounts on JUUL products
- Excellent medical, dental and vision benefits