Sr. Director, Operations Engineering - Components
at JUUL Labs
About JUUL Labs:
James Monsees and Adam Bowen co-founded JUUL when they applied their background in product design to the challenge of finding a better alternative to smoking. They’d been smokers for many years, but they were increasingly dissatisfied with the health and social impacts of cigarettes. When they could find no attractive alternative to cigarettes, James and Adam recognized a groundbreaking opportunity to apply industrial design to the smoking industry, which had not materially evolved in over one hundred years. As smokers, they knew a viable alternative to cigarettes would have to offer nicotine satisfaction found in no other alternative on the market. It would also have to invite its own ritual. The result was JUUL.
We seek a highly motivated Sr. Director, Operations Engineering- Components to manage our growing Components Manufacturing Engineering group. This group is responsible for developing and implementing the processes, equipment, and tooling used to produce our innovative, premium vaporizers. This teams works early on with Product Design, Marketing, Equipment Engineering, Costing teams to perform DFM, manufacturing planning, and be SME for all component manufacturing activity. This is an exciting opportunity to contribute to building world-class manufacturing capabilities for an exciting Bay Area-based company based in Mountain View / San Francisco.
The Sr. Director, Operations Engineering- Components is responsible for leading and managing a global team of component manufacturing engineers responsible for planning and executing the manufacturing engineering support for new product development, NPI, continuous improvement and product or process issue resolution projects involving JUUL, contract engineers, contract manufacturers (CMs) and upstream component & raw material suppliers.
The ideal candidate drives planning, costing, design review, DFM’s, evaluating vendor capabilities, design of experiments, process qualification, scrap and COGS reduction initiatives, issue root cause analysis, process changes and risk analysis at upstream component & raw material suppliers. The Sr. Director, Operations Engineering- Components, owns developing the strategy and monitoring the success of equipment selection and implementation, initiatives in process and yield improvements, and supporting cost reduction activities through manufacturing and design.
- Provide guidance and direction to a group of existing engineers and build out the team as required to support the objectives and needs of JUUL Labs.
- Develop processes and requirements to implement new products and/or manufacturing capacity and then leading the team to execute these projects.
- Lead projects to evaluate engineering solutions and make recommendations to senior management.
- Support vendor selection process and vendor performance.
- Responsible for providing design for manufacturing (DFM) feedback to our design engineers in order to realize superior design efficiency and cost management.
- Works with CMs and upstream suppliers to understand assembly and finished good and component manufacturing processes and acts as technical expert to ensure repeatable and reproducible quality/reliability during the life of the product(s).
- Interfaces with CMs and upstream suppliers to support investigation of product/component/material issues or supply constraints and assists with troubleshooting remotely and/or on-site at the manufacturing facilities.
- Manages over team execution of a variety of routine technical tasks including the completion of First Articles, process qualifications, FMEAs and Control Plans creation and engineering change requests.
- Works with R&D to research, develop, design, and evaluate complex mechanical and electronic assemblies, sub-assemblies, and printed circuit assemblies and ensure they are designed for manufacturability.
- Spearheads Six Sigma (Problem Solving and Process Improvement) and Lean initiatives to develop project opportunities to gain rates of improvement from manufacturing lines. Utilizes Design of Experiments to optimize manufacturing processes at up-stream component & raw material suppliers.
Skills and Experience Required:
- 15+ years of progressive experience with high-volume consumer electronics manufacturing
- 5+ years of experience working on the key manufacturing processes utilized by Juul’s upstream suppliers: plastic injection molding, silicone molding, metal extruding and stamping, anodizing, electroplating, winding, etc.
- 5+ years of experience in global management role (with direct reports) working on the key manufacturing processes and operational excellence. Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with multiple concurrent priorities
- Exemplary verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrated success introducing new products and new processes into a production environment
- Excellent project management skills.
- Experience supporting the design of automated equipment, fixturing, tooling and facilities
- Ability to travel globally (~20%)
- Good understanding of statistical methods, six sigma methodologies, design of experiments and lean.
- Previous experience in working with contract manufacturers and suppliers, domestic and offshore.
- Strong ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects while maintaining accuracy and meeting deadlines; able to balance short-term, urgent needs with long-term strategic initiatives.
- The ideal candidate will have previous experience in a few of the following areas: Design for Manufacturing (DFM), Lean Manufacturing, Process Control Concepts, Design of Experiments (DOE), and design/process Failure Mode and Effects Analysis (FMEA).
- Proficient in common office computer software
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering (Manufacturing, Mechanical or Electrical preferred).
- Advanced degree preferred.
JUUL Perks & Benefits:
- A place to grow your career. We’ll help you set big goals - and exceed them
- People. Work with talented, committed and supportive teammates
- Equity and performance bonuses. Every employee is a stakeholder in our success
- Boundless snacks and drinks
- Cell phone subsidy, commuter benefits and discounts on JUUL products
- Excellent medical, dental and vision benefits
- Location. Work in the heart of San Francisco, one of the world’s greatest cities.
JUUL Labs is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive work environment for all employees and job applicants, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. JUUL Labs also complies with the employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act. All applicants must have the authorization to work for JUUL Labs in the US.
Vapor, JUUL, Work Culture, Fast Paced, Start-up, Growth, Vape, Technology, Software, Hardware, Consumer Electronics, Manufacturing, Design, Product, Disruptive, Revolutionary, Cutting Edge, App, Android, eCommerce, B2C, San Francisco, Bay Area, IoT, San Jose, Los Angeles