JUUL's mission is to improve the lives of the world’s one billion adult smokers by driving innovation to eliminate cigarettes. JUUL is the number one US-based independent e-cigarette, selling over four million JUULpods per month. Headquartered in San Francisco and backed by leading technology investors including Tiger Global, Fidelity Investments and Tao Invest LLC, JUUL Labs is disrupting one of the world’s largest and oldest industries.
We’re an exceptional team with backgrounds in technology, healthcare and biotech, and we’re growing rapidly to deliver on our mission. We’re actively looking to hire the world’s best scientists, engineers, designers, product managers, supply chain experts, customer service and business professionals.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Across JUUL we think carefully about product and customer experience. We are seeking a senior data scientist to support efforts around manufacturing quality actions related to the quality of our products and help to create the data and implement the tools required. This person will be expected to engage with cross-functional stakeholders, including Customer Service, Quality and Consumer Insights as well as the Product, Manufacturing and Hardware teams.
The ideal candidate will have experience using structured and unstructured data to understand and analyze JUUL’s product quality. Understanding natural language processing (NLP) with deep knowledge in the application of statistical methods and modeling will be a key in being successful in this role. The candidate will want to seek all forms of data that JUUL is capturing regarding our product and its quality. Data will be ingested from areas covering Social Media (Facebook, Twitter, Reddit, Instagram, etc) as well as external customer surveys. Being able to extract, cleanse, organize and analyze this data will be integral to ensuring we are giving our customers the best product possible.
- Extracting data from global social media sources to bring into Google Big Query
- Creating prediction models for likelihood of product failure rate and quality of JUULpods
- Analyzing data from internal and external sources to trend product quality performance
- Extracting free form text from internal Salesforce cases and external survey responses
- Partnering with Quality Organization to improve data capture methodologies and future state roadmaps
PERSONAL & PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS:
- 5+ years applicable experience as a data and/or software engineer
- Strong coding skills in Python and/or R (additional languages a major plus)
- Proficiency in advanced SQL, data modeling and ETL
- Experience working with real-world data sets and unstructured text data
- History with machine learning and general data science methodologies is expected (Regression, Time Series, Inferential/bayesian statistics, classification and pattern identification, etc.)
- Experience with NLP methodologies and practical experience in the application of statistical analysis
- Big data skills, such as Spark, Hive, NoSQL, and modern big data storage techniques
- Proven track record delivering end-to-end data solutions that are performant, reliable, robust, and easy to maintain
- Bonus points for experience with GCP, BigQuery, Airflow, Fivetran, dbt, Tableau or Mode
- Bachelor’s degree from a top university or equivalent
JUUL LABS PERKS & BENEFITS:
- A place to grow your career. We’ll help you set big goals - and exceed them
- People. Work with talented, committed and supportive teammates
- Equity and performance bonuses. Every employee is a stakeholder in our success
- Boundless snacks and drinks
- Cell phone subsidy, commuter benefits and discounts on JUUL products
- Excellent medical, dental and vision benefits
- Location. Work in the heart of San Francisco, one of the world’s greatest cities