JUUL's mission is to improve the lives of the world’s one billion adult smokers by driving innovation to eliminate cigarettes. JUUL is the number one US-based independent e-cigarette, selling over four million JUULpods per month. Headquartered in San Francisco and backed by leading technology investors including Tiger Global, Fidelity Investments and Tao Invest LLC, JUUL Labs is disrupting one of the world’s largest and oldest industries.
We’re an exceptional team with backgrounds in technology, healthcare and biotech, and we’re growing rapidly to deliver on our mission. We’re actively looking to hire the world’s best scientists, engineers, designers, product managers, supply chain experts, customer service and business professionals.
Our engineering team is responsible for architecting, specifying, and realizing market leading consumer electronics products in the space of electronic vaporizers. You will be a key technical contributor and will utilize your in-depth electrical engineering skills, knowledge and experience in designing the latest generation Li-ion rechargeable battery packs to help realize state of the art technologies and the next generation devices.
In this position, you will use your electrical engineering skills and your knowledge and experience in designing and testing of rechargeable “smart” batteries for our products. The ideal candidate will have solid electrical engineering background, in-depth understanding of the operation of rechargeable Li-ion batteries and experience in design, testing, data analysis, design verification and validation of the latest generation smart battery packs, including individual cells, pack safety circuitry, fuel gauging and battery pack assembly and production.
Main tasks may include:
- Provide input to product specifications for performance, system compatibility and testability.
- Design battery packs for high volume production with safety fiction, state of charge and state of health algorithms.
- Design comprehensive battery test protocols to characterize all required design parameters.
- Utilize high accuracy EE test equipment and configure and run test setups to collect trustworthy data.
- Provide cutting edge battery performance expertise and advise fellow engineers.
- Work with other engineers and technicians to collect, review, analyze and present test data.
- Write software scripts to control off-the-shelf and custom test equipment.
- Work in close cooperation with a cross-functional team of professionals.
- Perform design reviews, DFMEA, risk and failure analysis.
- Work with battery vendors to transfer design into production and implement best production processes and practices.
- Monitor the advancements in battery technology, processes and SOC algorithms and advise the team accordingly.
Required technical skills:
- In-depth knowledge of Li-ion battery operation and performance including charging, discharging, safety, impedance, aging, cycle life, temperature effects, failure modes, handling and pack assembly methods, processes and procedures.
- Experience in collecting reviewing and analyzing all aspects of Li-ion battery related data including fuel gauging.
- Experience in designing low power, low noise analog and mixed signal electronics.
- Experience with programing and working with battery cycling test equipment like Maccor and Arbin.
- Solid experience with data collection, data storage, data manipulation and analysis.
- Proficiency in developing test scripts for parsing and analyzing large amounts of data.
- Developing of test procedures from requirement specifications with minimum input from design engineering.
- Experience in writing detailed and accurate test protocols.
- Experience in synthesizing easy to understand data summaries.
- Experience in design, testing and troubleshooting rechargeable batteries and mixed signal, precision electronics circuits at component level.
Desirable technical skills:
- Experience with designing custom battery test equipment.
- Experience with SW languages like Python for control of off-the-shelf and custom test equipment.
- Understanding of synchronous real time measurement methods.
- Statistical analysis and data summary in numerical and visual forms.
- Experience with serial communication protocols like I2C (SMB), UART and single wire HDQ.
- Experience in measuring highly dynamic loads and low noise signals with high precision.
- Understanding of TI’s Impedance Track, Maxim’s Model Gauge and similar gauging algorithms and their operation.
- Developing scripts for data transfer through DMA, Ethernet, USB, wireless, etc. to data storage equipment.
- BSEE/MS preferred and 5+ years of related experience.
- Design, test or validation of electronic systems.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with ability to clearly present data to cross-functional teams and to non-experts.
- Ability to work independently with minimal oversight.
- Ability to analyze and criticize existing and new designs and propose suitable solutions for issues.
- Relies on data to justify technical decisions.
- Ability to clearly explain complex technical issues and justify technical decisions.
- Self-motivated with excellent time management skills and entrepreneurial spirit.
- Competent in using data analysis tools like JMP and Mathlab and a variety of office productivity tools.
- Ability to work in close cooperation with a cross-functional teams of professionals.
JUUL LABS PERKS & BENEFITS:
- A place to grow your career. We’ll help you set big goals - and exceed them
- People. Work with talented, committed and supportive teammates
- Equity and performance bonuses. Every employee is a stakeholder in our success
- Boundless snacks and drinks
- Cell phone subsidy, commuter benefits and discounts on JUUL products
- Excellent medical, dental and vision benefits
- Location. Work in the heart of San Francisco, one of the world’s greatest cities