JUUL's mission is to improve the lives of the world’s one billion adult smokers by driving innovation to eliminate cigarettes. JUUL is the number one US-based vapor product. Headquartered in San Francisco and backed by leading technology investors including Tiger Global, Fidelity Investments and Tao Invest LLC, JUUL Labs is disrupting one of the world’s largest and oldest industries.
We’re an exceptional team with backgrounds in technology, healthcare, CPG and biotech, and we’re growing rapidly to deliver on our mission. We’re actively looking to hire the world’s best scientists, engineers, designers, product managers, supply chain experts, customer service and business professionals.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Reporting to the Associate General Counsel EMEA and the General Manager of France, the Corporate/Commercial Counsel is responsible for providing legal and support services related to the regulatory environment, best practices applicable to JUUL products, including advising relevant internal business partners on appropriate procedures and strategy. The successful candidate will have high cognitive capability and the ability to work across multi-disciplinary teams to find creative solutions to problems.
- Develop a deep understanding of Company’s business and products and the applicable regulatory requirements and regimes, including the tobacco and related products regulations and regulations concerning e-cigarettes/vaping.
- Develop and draft internal policies, playbooks, and other internal guidance.
- Documentation to help comply with corporate/commercial/regulatory requirements, best practices and industry standards applicable to Company products and operations, including supplementing such materials with day-to-day guidance.
- Identify legal/compliance gaps or risk areas and work with executive and business team members to develop and implement appropriate-scaled programs to address them.
- Oversee and operate any remediation programs to ensure ongoing accountability.
- Structure and negotiate business relationships, transactions, and oversee a wide variety of strategic alliances and business development activities.
- Draft, review, analyse, and negotiate contracts, memoranda and other legal documents.
- Oversee implementation of internal systems to assist and manage flow of contracts.
- Resolve potential disputes and, if necessary, be responsible for managing in litigation.
- Work collaboratively with a broad range of people and departments to develop and maintain strong working relationships between legal, finance, product, commercial/marketing, people services, operations, regulatory and supply chain.
- Actively oversee and manage outside counsel to ensure effective and efficient use.
- Establish rapport to encourage proactive use of in-house legal counsel.
- Develop and implement standardized templates and processes.
- Work with internal and external stakeholders to proactively identify market/commercial risks and ensure appropriate risk mitigation strategies and review committees are in place.
- Juggle and successfully prioritise competing and voluminous work streams simultaneously.
- Understand and be able to translate into “plain English” the legal ramifications of varied legal issues (including regulatory requirements) and clearly and succinctly articulate the risks. Provide advice within the context of the broader business and enterprise level objectives. Manage the deal process to achieve thoughtful, successful and timely results.
- Proactively communicate and manage expectations with multiple stakeholders.
- Prepare and provide presentations to business partners as needed.
- Perform special assignments or projects as needed.
- Incorporate legal entities.
- Advise on advertising, claims and permitted promotions and review of point of sale materials.
- Analyse and advise on European antitrust law issues.
PERSONAL AND PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS:
- Successful track record of diverse healthcare and/or regulatory and business legal experience.
- Experience in the healthcare industry and working with business partners. Strong preference for experience working with commercial groups on product management.
- The candidate should ideally have a combination of law firm and in-house experience.
- Experience in positively and successfully managing relationships with a high energy, diverse group of stakeholders across organisational lines. A thoughtful, articulate and effective communicator who can distil and articulate the important aspects of any legal issue to a wide audience of participants.
- Experience of working with a multi-national company is highly desirable.
- Fluent English is required. Additional languages is an advantage.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Business acumen, including the ability to see the “big picture” as well as the detail of specific legal and business issues. High degree of organisation and efficiency with demonstrated attention to detail.
- Superior written and verbal communication skills (including presentations).
- Ability to meet aggressive time frames.
- Ability to build credibility quickly and provide strong legal support for complex and challenging business opportunities.
- Demonstrated ability to simultaneously manage a variety of assignments and oversee areas of responsibility and prioritize activities in a fast-paced, demanding environment.
- Able to make decisions quickly but also seek guidance when appropriate.
- Ability to interact with persuasiveness and confidence.
- Demonstrated relationship-building skills; ability to appreciate people with different backgrounds and points of view and ability to create an inclusive environment.
- Personal integrity, sound judgment and strong ethics in business and personal conduct.
- Adaptable, comfortable with uncertainty and ambiguity, committed to personal and professional growth and receptive to feedback.
- Highly motivated with a “can do” attitude. Ability to self-direct.
- The successful candidate will be entitled to practice law within France and hold a law degree or equivalent qualification with strong academic credentials and will have obtained an undergraduate degree from a college or university of recognised standing.
JUUL LABS PERKS & BENEFITS:
- A place to grow your career. We’ll help you set big goals - and exceed them
- People. Work with talented, committed and supportive teammates
- Equity and performance bonuses. Every employee is a stakeholder in our success
- Boundless snacks and drinks
- Cell phone subsidy, commuter benefits and discounts on JUUL products