JUUL's mission is to improve the lives of the world’s one billion adult smokers by driving innovation to eliminate cigarettes. JUUL is the number one US-based vapor product. Headquartered in San Francisco and backed by leading technology investors including Tiger Global, Fidelity Investments and Tao Invest LLC, JUUL Labs is disrupting one of the world’s largest and oldest industries.
We’re an exceptional team with backgrounds in technology, healthcare, CPG and biotech, and we’re growing rapidly to deliver on our mission. We’re actively looking to hire the world’s best scientists, engineers, designers, product managers, supply chain experts, customer service and business professionals.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
This is a hands-on role requiring a thorough study and understanding of existing designs, in order to apply innovative engineering principles towards re-design and optimization. Additionally, the position works with new product development teams to support high-value engineering activities. The person in this role should be a strong communicator who is able to work effectively with peers and management alike in a high-paced global environment. We are looking for someone who is flexible and can respond quickly, energetically, and enthusiastically to changes. Cross-functional communication skills and experience are essential. The Senior Firmware Engineer will interact with all engineering design disciplines plus reliability, manufacturing, component engineering, and other resources inside and outside Juul Labs. We are looking for a highly motivated and talented individual who will be responsible for re-designing and optimizing high-quality embedded code that will bring these hardware products to the next level.
- Maintaining communication within the development team
- Maintaining project schedules
- Cross-functional organization, communication, and management
- Creating meetings and documenting action items and progress
- Travel to support manufacturing builds
- Reporting and presenting to senior management on project status and schedules
- Create, modify, and update code for new and existing products.
- Provide test fixture support for manufacturing, QA, and contract manufacturers.
- Troubleshoot product failures on PCBs, power supplies, and electromechanical assemblies.
PERSONAL AND PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS:
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant Firmware optimization experience in one or more of the following areas: product design, new product release, test engineering, manufacturing support.
- Previous experience with medical devices or other regulated products is desirable.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Self-motivated, team player, with a strong desire to learn new skills and grow.
- Experience with embedded microcontrollers and low power devices.
- Firmware design and troubleshooting.
- Ability to multi-task or focus on detailed problems, and tenacity to drive issues until resolved.
- Software Experience - C is a must; Python is a plus
- Other requirements or beneficial knowledge:
- BLE (beneficial)
- Real-time Operating System (RTOS) (beneficial)
- Understanding of serial communication protocols I2C, SPI, UART (required)
- Working with EE to bring up a PCB (required)
- Experience with sensors or other ICs communicating over SPI and/or I2C
- BS in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or related technical field. Associate’s degree with significant experience will be considered. Master’s degree is a plus.
JUUL LABS PERKS & BENEFITS:
- A place to grow your career. We’ll help you set big goals - and exceed them
- People. Work with talented, committed and supportive teammates
- Equity and performance bonuses. Every employee is a stakeholder in our success
- Boundless snacks and drinks
- Cell phone subsidy, commuter benefits and discounts on JUUL products
- Excellent medical, dental and vision benefits
- Location. Work in the heart of San Francisco, one of the world’s greatest cities