Who We Are
At Justworks, you’ll enjoy a welcoming and casual environment, great benefits, wellness program offerings, company retreats, and the ability to interact with and learn from leaders in the startup community. We work hard and care about our most prized asset - our people.
We’re helping businesses get off the ground by enabling them to focus on running their business. We solve HR issues. We’re data-driven and never stop iterating. If you’d like to work in a supportive, entrepreneurial environment, are interested in building something meaningful and having fun while doing it, we’d love to hear from you.
We're united by shared goals and shared motivations at Justworks. These are best summed up in our company values, which are reflected in our product and in our team.
If this sounds like you, you’ll fit right in.
Who You Are
Justworks is seeking a Senior Product Designer to help scale our Payment and Tax Unit. PTU’s core mission is to process payments and taxes accurately and on time. As we expand the product design function on PTU that mission is growing to include bringing new features to the Justworks app and designing new internal applications for our Operations teams. We do this by providing a flexible and best-in-class solution that meets the customer’s needs and improves our internal workflow. As a Justworks Senior Product Designer, you will champion design, lateral thinking, and problem solving on a cross-functional team delivering value in an iterative, agile environment.
As the second designer on the Payments & Tax team, you’ll help shape the product strategy, set design standards and practices, and help your team navigate ambiguity. You are a versatile designer who steps back to analyze complex workflows, understand the needs of our customers, and dives into the interaction and visual details. You will have the opportunity to apply your passion for tackling complex design problems with a focus on addressing the needs of our customers. Our ideal candidate is a seasoned systems-level thinker, an effective communicator, and is constantly pushing to mold complex experiences into simple, efficient ones.
Your Success Profile
What You Will Work On
- Collaborate effectively with product managers, engineers, product marketing and other designers to identify and define product opportunities
- Play a key role in the product design lifecycle, including discovery, ideation, designing wireframes, high-fidelity prototypes, visual design, and creating detailed product specifications
- Approach problems critically, help refine statements of the problems, and come up with many ideas on how we might solve them
- Clearly articulate objectives as you explore different possibilities
- Work closely with a small team trying to move quickly to figure out what works, together, and deliver the polished final product
- Interview potential users - internal and external - and conduct research to uncover customer problems and opportunities
- Lead workshops and effectively align the group around a vision and approach
- Compose design directions that show breadth in exploring potential solutions
- Strengthen and critique different directions the team can take
- Implement constructive dissent, searching for clarity on what the team’s goals are, taking the time to listen and understand one another, and deciding what the best course of action is
- Build and test prototypes that range in fidelity depending on the question being answered
- Contribute to and author our culture / processes that will help define and empower our growing team
- Learn from our experiences to iterate and improve the product and process
- Support design decisions with data and insights
- Perform other related duties as assigned
How You Will Do Your Work
As a Senior Product Designer, how results are achieved is paramount for your success and ultimately result in our success as an organization. In this role, your foundational knowledge, skills, abilities and personal attributes are anchored in the following competencies:
- Customer focus - builds strong customer relationships and delivers customer-centric solutions.
- Teamwork and communication - putting our collective best together through documentation, collaboration, relationship-building, listening, empathy, recruiting, and evangelism.
- Nimble learning - actively learning through experimentation when tackling new problems, using both successes and failures as learning fodder.
- Results-driven - consistently achieves results, even under difficult circumstances.
- Creative thinking - discovering new opportunities and solutions for problems by looking beyond current practices and using innovative thinking.
In addition, all Justworkers focus on aligning their behaviors to our core values known as COGIS. It stands for:
- Camaraderie - Day to day you can be seen working together toward a higher purpose. You like to have fun. You’re an active listener, treat people respectfully, and have a strong desire to know and help others.
- Openness - Your default is to be open. You're willing to share information, understand other perspectives, and consider new possibilities. You’re curious, ask open questions, and are receptive to thoughts and feedback from others.
- Grit - You demonstrate grit by having the courage to commit and persevere. You’re committed, earnest, and dive in to get the job done well with a positive attitude.
- Integrity - Simply put, do what you say and say what you'll do. You’re honest and forthright, have a strong moral compass, and strive to match your words with your actions while leading by example.
- Simplicity - Be like Einstein: “Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.”
- A minimum of 5 years in product design
- Excellent visual communication skills, and effective communication overall (written/verbal communication)
- Bias for taking initiative and ownership of work, filling in the blanks when encountered by ambiguity
- Inquisitive and poke holes in suggestions and ideas
- Skilled with user research, front end coding, project management, product discovery, and/or UX writing a plus
- Confidence in making technical decisions that are best at that given point in time and comfort with making decisions with incomplete information
- You have a growth mindset and seek feedback early and often from your coworkers and customers.
- Proficiency in design and research tools (like Figma, Miro, UserTesting, etc)
- Experience building and launching new products a plus
The base wage range for this position based in our New York City Office is targeted at $165,000.00 to $181,500.00 per year.
Actual compensation is based on multiple factors that are unique to each candidate, including and not limited to skill set, level of relevant experience, and specific work location. Salary ranges for positions based in other locations may differ based on the cost of labor in that location.
For more information about Justworks’ Total Reward Philosophy, including all of the perks and benefits we are proud to offer our team members, please visit Total Rewards @ Justworks.
Diversity At Justworks
Justworks is committed to maintaining a workplace where diversity of identity, culture, and life experience is the norm and is celebrated authentically and respected consistently. Diversity in our work, our people, and our product drives creativity and innovation, entrepreneurial leadership and integrity, competitiveness, and collaboration throughout our business and in the market. We depend on our differences to make our team stronger, our workplace more dynamic, and our product accessible to all of our customers.
We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer open to all qualified applicants regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or familial status, disability, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, veteran status, genetic information, or any other legally protected status.