Who We Are
At Justworks, you’ll enjoy a welcoming and casual environment, great benefits, wellness program offerings, company retreats, and the ability to interact with and learn from leaders in the startup community. We work hard and care about our most prized asset - our people.
We’re helping businesses get off the ground by enabling them to focus on running their business. We solve HR issues. We’re data-driven and never stop iterating. If you’d like to work in a supportive, entrepreneurial environment, are interested in building something meaningful and having fun while doing it, we’d love to hear from you.
We're united by shared goals and shared motivations at Justworks. These are best summed up in our company values, which are reflected in our product and in our team.
If this sounds like you, you’ll fit right in.
Who You Are
Justworks is looking for a highly talented and innovative Senior Manager to lead our Site Reliability Engineering (SRE) team. As a Senior Manager, you will be responsible for maintaining and executing technology programs to improve overall systems and services stability, availability, performance, service monitoring across all of our platforms as well as leading a team of SREs. The Senior Manager of SRE is a hands-on technical role and requires a thorough understanding of all components of a modern web application stack, including front-end, back-end, database, networking, and systems-level knowledge. The ideal candidate will bring forward innovative and creative ideas around performance, security, software, and system design in order to help us build and roll out technology solutions for our platform.
This role will report to the Director, Infrastructure, whom you will partner with on developing long-term strategies for the team.
Your Success Profile
What You Will Work On
- Lead a team of SRE professionals responsible for maintaining and executing technology programs to improve overall systems and services stability, availability, performance, and service monitoring across all of our platforms
- Design and implement innovative solutions that improve software development velocity, infrastructure resiliency, security, and data availability
- Recommend and facilitate implementation of infrastructure enhancements as required to maintain the performance of systems in response to business growth
- Establish and maintain Key Performance Indicators for the overall health of the service and build tools to exercise and evaluate KPIs
- Lead cross-functionally with other teams to surface common pain points, architect solutions, establish conventions and evangelize application development and operations best practices
- Partner with internal stakeholders to develop multi-year roadmaps influencing the direction and evolution of the operating environment and support protocols
- Build relationships with peers and stakeholders to foster cross-functional/team/department collaboration
- Manage and oversee proactive reviews and audits of production systems, issue triage and follow up
- Manage, scale, and grow a team of SRE professionals by setting performance goals and measuring deliverables to help recruit, source, interview and hire across the entire engineering team
- Cultivate team culture based on Justworks’ core values while growing, mentoring, and developing a team of talented SREs
- Provide guidance (both technical and non-technical) and support growth in SREs on the team and engineers across other teams
- Ensure accountability and drive engagement by creating an environment where people are motivated to do their best to help the team meet commitments and achieve goals/objectives
- Empower the engineering team to achieve a high level of technical productivity, reliability, and simplicity
- Create robust technical solutions for complex business challenges and improve team delivery through Agile practices; help define and communicate technical standards and best practices
- Enhance our testing, monitoring and continuous deployment infrastructure
- Perform other related duties as assigned
How You Will Do Your Work
As a Senior Manager, Site Reliability Engineering how results are achieved is paramount for your success and ultimately results in our success as an organization. In this role, your foundational knowledge, skills, abilities, and personal attributes are anchored in the following:
- Good judgment - the exercise of critical thinking, analyzing and assessing problems and implications, identifying patterns, making connections of underlying issues, understanding risks and developing mitigation strategies, and taking ownership of the outcome.
- Resourcefulness - taking a can-do approach, even in the face of obstacles and constraints by assessing what’s in front of you and effectively and efficiently optimizing what you have, whether it's working on something new or thinking about how to do something better.
- Teamwork and communication - putting our collective best together through documentation, collaboration, relationship-building, listening, empathy, recruiting, and evangelism.
- Influence and leadership - fostering a community of knowledge-sharing, collaboration, mentorship, and forward-thinking.
- Skills and knowledge - the capacity to actively learn and apply specific domain knowledge, know-how, and best practices to continually enhance and improve.
In addition, all Justworkers focus on aligning their behaviors to our core values known as COGIS. It stands for:
- Camaraderie - Day to day you can be seen working together toward a higher purpose. You like to have fun. You’re an active listener, treat people respectfully, and have a strong desire to know and help others.
- Openness - Your default is to be open. You're willing to share information, understand other perspectives, and consider new possibilities. You’re curious, ask open questions, and are receptive to thoughts and feedback from others.
- Grit - You demonstrate grit by having the courage to commit and persevere. You’re committed, earnest, and dive in to get the job done well with a positive attitude.
- Integrity - Simply put, do what you say and say what you'll do. You’re honest and forthright, have a strong moral compass, and strive to match your words with your actions while leading by example.
- Simplicity - Be like Einstein: “Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.”
- 7+ years of experience in DevOps, SRE, or related roles, with a focus on cloud-based infrastructure
- 5+ years of experience in managing DevOps or SRE engineers
- Experience hiring top talent, building diverse and inclusive teams, foster a culture of a healthy work environment that is both supportive and challenging
- Knowledge of defining and monitoring system quality measures, including SLIs (Service-level Indicators), SLOs (Service-level Objectives), and Service-level Agreements (SLAs)
- Built tooling to improve the reliability of systems, automated remediation of issues, or improve scalability
- Hands-on experience collecting performance data, analyzing, troubleshooting, and tuning
- Experience delivering software designed for high concurrency, scalability, or availability
- Experience with containers and container orchestration tools (Docker, ECS, and Kubernetes)
- Experience with Kafka, MySQL, PostgreSQL, Elasticsearch, and/or Redis
The base wage range for this position based in our New York City Office is targeted at $235,000.00 to $270,250.00 per year.
Actual compensation is based on multiple factors that are unique to each candidate, including and not limited to skill set, level of relevant experience, and specific work location. Salary ranges for positions based in other locations may differ based on the cost of labor in that location.
For more information about Justworks’ Total Reward Philosophy, including all of the perks and benefits we are proud to offer our team members, please visit Total Rewards @ Justworks.
Diversity At Justworks
Justworks is committed to maintaining a workplace where diversity of identity, culture, and life experience is the norm and is celebrated authentically and respected consistently. Diversity in our work, our people, and our product drives creativity and innovation, entrepreneurial leadership and integrity, competitiveness, and collaboration throughout our business and in the market. We depend on our differences to make our team stronger, our workplace more dynamic, and our product accessible to all of our customers.
We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer open to all qualified applicants regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or familial status, disability, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, veteran status, genetic information, or any other legally protected status.