Who We Are
At Justworks, you’ll enjoy a welcoming and casual environment, great benefits, wellness program offerings, company retreats, and the ability to interact with and learn from leaders in the startup community. We work hard and care about our most prized asset - our people.
We’re helping businesses get off the ground by enabling them to focus on running their business. We solve HR issues. We’re data-driven and never stop iterating. If you’d like to work in a supportive, entrepreneurial environment, are interested in building something meaningful and having fun while doing it, we’d love to hear from you.
We're united by shared goals and shared motivations at Justworks. These are best summed up in our company values, which are reflected in our product and in our team.
If this sounds like you, you’ll fit right in.
Who You Are
As a Staff Software Engineer at Justworks, you will leverage your demonstrated ability to own and lead the implementation of features in large-scale, distributed applications to support the long term growth of Justworks. You understand the concept of “separation of concerns” and have leveraged design patterns to solve technical challenges. You are eager to learn and passionate about improvement. You spend significant amounts of time directly assisting and leveling up other engineers. You look for signals in the noise and can mitigate potential issues before they become problems.
Your Success Profile
What You Will Work On
- Work collaboratively with other engineers, product managers, designers, and other stakeholders to bring new products and features to our customers
- Scope and lead complex projects or changes that will benefit the entire organization
- Serve as a role model for and work towards improving engineering standards, tooling, and processes
- Mentor engineers to help them grow their technical skills by fostering a culture of continuous learning and improvement
- Build features and functionality that our customers use directly, typically in an iterative fashion taking into account user feedback
- Drive sound technical decision-making and lead technical conversations with other teams across Justworks
- Perform other related duties as assigned
How You Will Do Your Work
As a Staff Software Engineer, how results are achieved is paramount for your success and ultimately result in our success as an organization. In this role, your foundational knowledge, skills, abilities and personal attributes are anchored in the following:
- Good judgment - the exercise of critical thinking, analyzing and assessing problems and implications, identifying patterns, making connections of underlying issues, understanding risks and developing mitigation strategies, and taking ownership of the outcome.
- Resourcefulness - taking a can-do approach, even in the face of obstacles and constraints by assessing what’s in front of you and effectively and efficiently optimizing what you have, whether it's working on something new or thinking about how to do something better.
- Teamwork and communication - putting our collective best together through documentation, collaboration, relationship-building, listening, empathy, recruiting, and evangelism.
- Influence and leadership - fostering a community of knowledge-sharing, collaboration, mentorship, and forward-thinking.
- Skills and knowledge - the capacity to actively learn and apply specific domain knowledge, know-how, and best practices to continually enhance and improve.
In addition, all Justworkers focus on aligning their behaviors to our core values known as COGIS. It stands for:
- Camaraderie - Day to day you can be seen working together toward a higher purpose. You like to have fun. You’re an active listener, treat people respectfully, and have a strong desire to know and help others.
- Openness - Your default is to be open. You're willing to share information, understand other perspectives, and consider new possibilities. You’re curious, ask open questions, and are receptive to thoughts and feedback from others.
- Grit - You demonstrate grit by having the courage to commit and persevere. You’re committed, earnest, and dive in to get the job done well with a positive attitude.
- Integrity - Simply put, do what you say and say what you'll do. You’re honest and forthright, have a strong moral compass, and strive to match your words with your actions while leading by example.
- Simplicity - Be like Einstein: “Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.”
- Minimum of 8 years of professional hands-on experience
- Expertise in large-scale either Ruby on Rails or React applications; we expect staff candidates to leverage a diverse skill set beyond these tools
- Demonstrable experience leading engineers without formal direct reporting relationships
- Strong systems architecture and coding/scripting skills
- Solid understanding of data structures, algorithms, and object-oriented design
- Experience proactively collaborating across different engineering teams
- Experience working with service-oriented architectures and complicated systems at scale
- Experience building APIs and/or webhooks
- Experience working using Agile/Scrum methodology in a fast-paced environment
- Experience in a high-growth environment working with deadlines and milestones
- Comfortable with ambiguity; you enjoy figuring out what needs to be done
- ElasticSearch, Docker, InfluxDB, Redshift, Jenkins, Nagios, Rollbar, DataDog
The base wage range for this position based in our New York City Office is targeted at $220,000.00 to $253,000.00 per year.
Actual compensation is based on multiple factors that are unique to each candidate, including and not limited to skill set, level of relevant experience, and specific work location. Salary ranges for positions based in other locations may differ based on the cost of labor in that location.
For more information about Justworks’ Total Reward Philosophy, including all of the perks and benefits we are proud to offer our team members, please visit Total Rewards @ Justworks.
Please Note: We believe Justworks has a responsibility to support efforts to get as many people vaccinated as possible. We’re committed to safeguarding the well-being of our employees, their families and the broader community from the risks associated with COVID-19. Because this position requires onsite work, this position will require the successful candidate to show proof of vaccination against COVID-19. As an equal opportunity employer, Justworks will provide reasonable accommodation to those individuals who are unable to be vaccinated in accordance with its obligations pursuant to applicable federal, state, provincial, and local law.
Diversity At Justworks
Justworks is committed to maintaining a workplace where diversity of identity, culture, and life experience is the norm and is celebrated authentically and respected consistently. Diversity in our work, our people, and our product drives creativity and innovation, entrepreneurial leadership and integrity, competitiveness, and collaboration throughout our business and in the market. We depend on our differences to make our team stronger, our workplace more dynamic, and our product accessible to all of our customers.
We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer open to all qualified applicants regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or familial status, disability, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, veteran status, genetic information, or any other legally protected status.