Who We Are
At Justworks, you’ll enjoy a welcoming and casual environment, great benefits, wellness program offerings, company retreats, and the ability to interact with and learn from leaders in the startup community. We work hard and care about our most prized asset - our people.
We’re helping businesses get off the ground by enabling them to focus on running their business. We solve HR issues. We’re data-driven and never stop iterating. If you’d like to work in a supportive, entrepreneurial environment, are interested in building something meaningful and having fun while doing it, we’d love to hear from you.
We're united by shared goals and shared motivations at Justworks. These are best summed up in our company values, which are reflected in our product and in our team.
If this sounds like you, you’ll fit right in.
Who You Are
You know how to identify areas for process and procedure improvement. You strive for operational efficiency and leverage your technological literacy to obtain it. You demonstrate patience, determination, and excellent people skills, and are eager to contribute these assets to a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment.
As a Payroll Tax Analyst, you will help pay and file withholding and unemployment taxes for our clients. You will have the ability to dependably execute a set of daily, quarterly, and annual tasks to make sure our clients are compliant. Your role involves working cross-functionally to solve customer issues, as well as communicating with local, state, and federal agencies.
Your Success Profile
What You Will Work On
- Execute and maintain quarter and annual payroll tax filing across all local, state, and federal jurisdictions.
- Resolve payroll tax inquiries/issues generated by our Customer Success team and our internal ticket creation within the agreed upon service level agreements (SLAs)
- Triage incoming issues/inquiries to identify need for engineering intervention
- Monitor inquiries/issues to identify trends in payroll tax issues
- Recommend and execute improvements to processes
- Maintain internal resource center regarding payroll tax policies and procedures
- Execute changes to payroll tax processes and procedures along with key stakeholders in Engineering, Product, Finance, Customer Success, and Compliance
- Actively participate in the training of new team members and provide progress reports to the direct manager
- Perform other related duties as assigned
How You Will Do Your Work
As a Payroll Tax Analyst, how results are achieved is paramount for your success and ultimately result in our success as an organization. In this role, your foundational knowledge, skills, abilities and personal attributes are anchored in the following competencies:
- Detail-oriented - exercises extreme attention to detail; is thorough, accurate, organized, and productive and seeks to understand both the cause and effect of a situation.
- Adaptability - the ability to adjust your approach or actions in response to changes in your external environment.
- Good judgement - the exercise of critical thinking, analyzing and assessing problems and implications, identifying patterns, making connections of underlying issues, understanding risks and developing mitigation strategies, and taking ownership of the outcome.
- Clear communication - the ability to articulate thoughts and express ideas effectively using oral, written, visual and non-verbal communication skills, as well as listening skills to gain understanding.
- Systems thinking - the ability to look at overall systems holistically and understand how things work within the system through the exploration of inter-dependencies and inter-relationships (context and connections).
In addition, all Justworkers focus on aligning their behaviors to our core values known as COGIS. It stands for:
- Camaraderie - Day to day you can be seen working together toward a higher purpose. You like to have fun. You’re an active listener, treat people respectfully, and have a strong desire to know and help others.
- Openness - Your default is to be open. You're willing to share information, understand other perspectives, and consider new possibilities. You’re curious, ask open questions, and are receptive to thoughts and feedback from others.
- Grit - You demonstrate grit by having the courage to commit and persevere. You’re committed, earnest, and dive in to get the job done well with a positive attitude.
- Integrity - Simply put, do what you say and say what you'll do. You’re honest and forthright, have a strong moral compass, and strive to match your words with your actions while leading by example.
- Simplicity - Be like Einstein: “Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.”
- Minimum of 3 years of payroll tax filing and payment experience
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Process-driven while able to be resourceful and adaptable
- Technologically savvy; experience with utilizing multiple systems and software programs
- American Payroll Association (APA) Fundamental Payroll Certification (FPC) preferred
- Experience with multi-state accounts for single large employer OR multi-employer in multiple states required
- Experience working with PEOs preferred
Please Note: Justworks requires all new hires to be fully vaccinated within six weeks of their hire date as a condition of employment unless you qualify for a reasonable accommodation. For additional information on our policy, please click here.
Diversity At Justworks
Justworks is committed to maintaining a workplace where diversity of identity, culture, and life experience is the norm and is celebrated authentically and respected consistently. Diversity in our work, our people, and our product drives creativity and innovation, entrepreneurial leadership and integrity, competitiveness, and collaboration throughout our business and in the market. We depend on our differences to make our team stronger, our workplace more dynamic, and our product accessible to all of our customers.
We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer open to all qualified applicants regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other legally protected status.