Who We Are
At Justworks, you’ll enjoy a welcoming and casual environment, great benefits, wellness program offerings, company retreats, and the ability to interact with and learn from leaders in the startup community. We work hard and care about our most prized asset - our people.
We’re helping businesses get off the ground by enabling them to focus on running their business. We solve HR issues. We’re data-driven and never stop iterating. If you’d like to work in a supportive, entrepreneurial environment, are interested in building something meaningful and having fun while doing it, we’d love to hear from you.
We're united by shared goals and shared motivations at Justworks. These are best summed up in our company values, which are reflected in our product and in our team.
If this sounds like you, you’ll fit right in.
Who You Are
You possess a strong ability to see ideas for improvement instituted in near real-time. You enjoy learning new processes and bringing new improvements. You are a collaborator who likes to help others learn and provide guidance. You are proactive and you seek out answers rather than waiting for them to come to you.
As Justworks’ Manager of Payroll Tax you will be a leading expert on all aspects of payroll tax for our CPEO. In this role, you will be working across departments including but not limited to (Compliance, Customer Success, Engineering, and Product).
Your Success Profile
What You Will Work On
- Be part of a high-performing, efficient, and dedicated Payroll Tax team that manages daily payroll tax processing, accurate tax withholding and remittance, and provides internal payroll tax guidance to multiple departments
- Ensure accurate quarter and year end processing included but not limited to federal, state and local tax reconciliations, W-2 and 1099 issuance
- Provide guidance, mentorship, and development to the existing team of payroll tax coordinators
- Handle escalated issues, tax notices or tax audits for federal, state and local taxes
- Establish best practice for tax administration
- Research and communicate information about current and proposed payroll tax legislation and company procedures to ensure compliance and customer understanding
- Support internal control compliance initiatives, testing and remediation; ensure that payroll tax processes and procedures are updated
- Perform other related duties as assigned
How You Will Do Your Work
As a Manager of Payroll Tax, how results are achieved is paramount for your success and ultimately result in our success as an organization. In this role, your foundational knowledge, skills, abilities and personal attributes are anchored in the following competencies:
- Detail-oriented - exercises extreme attention to detail; is thorough, accurate, organized, and productive and seeks to understand both the cause and effect of a situation.
- Adaptability - the ability to adjust your approach or actions in response to changes in your external environment.
- Good judgement - the exercise of critical thinking, analyzing and assessing problems and implications, identifying patterns, making connections of underlying issues, understanding risks and developing mitigation strategies, and taking ownership of the outcome.
- Clear communication - the ability to articulate thoughts and express ideas effectively using oral, written, visual and non-verbal communication skills, as well as listening skills to gain understanding.
- Systems thinking - the ability to look at overall systems holistically and understand how things work within the system through the exploration of interdependencies and inter-relationships (context and connections).
In addition, all Justworkers focus on aligning their behaviors to our core values known as COGIS. It stands for:
- Camaraderie - Day to day you can be seen working together toward a higher purpose. You like to have fun. You’re an active listener, treat people respectfully, and have a strong desire to know and help others.
- Openness - Your default is to be open. You're willing to share information, understand other perspectives, and consider new possibilities. You’re curious, ask open questions, and are receptive to thoughts and feedback from others.
- Grit - You demonstrate grit by having the courage to commit and persevere. You’re committed, earnest, and dive in to get the job done well with a positive attitude.
- Integrity - Simply put, do what you say and say what you'll do. You’re honest and forthright, have a strong moral compass, and strive to match your words with your actions while leading by example.
- Simplicity - Be like Einstein: “Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.”
- Minimum of 5 years of payroll tax experience, Certified Payroll Professional (CPP) preferred
- Minimum of 3 years of experience as a direct manager or equivalent
- Multi-state large employer or PEO payroll tax filing experience
- Working knowledge of payroll tax regulations and payroll tax systems
- Expertise in electronic filing of federal, state and local payroll tax returns
Please Note: Justworks requires all new hires to be fully vaccinated within six weeks of their hire date as a condition of employment unless you qualify for a reasonable accommodation. For additional information on our policy, please click here.
Diversity At Justworks
Justworks is committed to maintaining a workplace where diversity of identity, culture, and life experience is the norm and is celebrated authentically and respected consistently. Diversity in our work, our people, and our product drives creativity and innovation, entrepreneurial leadership and integrity, competitiveness, and collaboration throughout our business and in the market. We depend on our differences to make our team stronger, our workplace more dynamic, and our product accessible to all of our customers.
We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer open to all qualified applicants regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other legally protected status.