Who We Are
At Justworks, you’ll enjoy a welcoming and casual environment, great benefits, wellness program offerings, company retreats, and the ability to interact with and learn from leaders in the startup community. We work hard and care about our most prized asset - our people.
We’re helping businesses get off the ground by enabling them to focus on running their business. We solve HR issues. We’re data-driven and never stop iterating. If you’d like to work in a supportive, entrepreneurial environment, are interested in building something meaningful and having fun while doing it, we’d love to hear from you.
We're united by shared goals and shared motivations at Justworks. These are best summed up in our company values, which are reflected in our product and in our team.
If this sounds like you, you’ll fit right in.
Who You Are
Justworks is hiring our first Compensation & Benefits leader to join our People Team. This role will drive all aspects of compensation and total rewards including [401(k), medical, dental and vision, and associated benefits]. As this is a brand new role, you will have the opportunity to make a significant impact across the business, building on our established foundation and creating compensation best practices as we build a company for the ages.
As a Professional Employee Organization (PEO), Justworks administers benefits for over 110,000 customers, a feat we would not be able to achieve without our greatest asset - our people. The Director, Total Rewards will play an important role in supporting our growing internal employee population of 700+ employees by leading a small team of People Operations experts, responsible for administering compensation, benefits, and employee status changes.
As Director of Total Rewards, you will be accountable for leading, supporting and developing the People Operations team as they liaise between Justworks Benefits teams and its internal employee population. A focus on process improvement, identifying and eliminating inefficiencies that will improve the internal operations of Justworks will be a key part of this role.
Reporting to the SVP People, the Director of Total Rewards will oversee the design, management, evolution, and ongoing optimization of existing and new compensation strategies and programs. These areas will include executive, salaried, hourly, sales commission, and equity.
Additionally, as Justworks continues to refine its Human Capital Management (HCM) systems, you will play an essential role in ensuring that all systems and processes associated with compensation are designed appropriately and that processes within the system and organization operate smoothly. Importantly, you will ensure equity and compliance among all our compensation programs and play a vital role in the communication and education of all compensation practices.
Your Success Profile
What You Will Work On
- Be a subject matter expert on all compensation matters, including market analysis, survey participation, job leveling, benchmarking, pay equality, policies, and compliance.
- Serve as a trusted consultant to business leaders on broad compensation and benefits topics and be able to influence and drive decisions at Executive levels.
- Lead direction on market pricing, competitive analysis, job profile insights for all new and existing roles.
- Lead all annual merit, promotions, and option refresh cycles, including budget, communication, training, systems, and administration.
- Become expert in the benefits environment that Justworks offers its employees and support the People Operations team in administering all employee benefits, including a focus on process improvement.
- Assist in developing a set of HCM systems sufficient to support compensation for an organization of 800-1,200 over the next two years.
- Consult with HRBPs and management on compensation challenges and solutions, including off-cycle payments, departmental comp reviews/realignment, special payments.
- Partner with Recruiting, HRBPs, and Finance to attract, recruit & retain top talent.
- Collaborate with sales leaders to design competitive sales commission plans.
- Ensure compliance with regard to all regulatory changes affecting compensation and benefits plans, including Equal Pay, FLSA, ERISA and Sarbanes Oxley.
- Oversee all compensation systems, tools, and third-party vendors.
- Other duties as needed based on department and/or organizational needs
How You Will Do Your Work
As a Director, Total Rewards, how results are achieved is paramount for your success and ultimately results in our success as an organization. In this role, your foundational knowledge, skills, abilities, and personal attributes are anchored in the following:
- Consultative - takes an approach that focuses on building relationships with others, understanding their problems, and developing solutions to their challenges through open-ended questions and active listening.
- Solution-oriented - identifies the source of a question or challenge and provides the right or a better, way of doing things.
- Good judgment - the exercise of critical thinking, analyzing and assessing problems and implications, identifying patterns, making connections of underlying issues, understanding risks and developing mitigation strategies, and taking ownership of the outcome.
- Functional expertise - subject matter expertise of specific function(s), including knowledge of principles, practices, and domain knowledge.
- Clear communication - the ability to articulate thoughts and express ideas effectively using oral, written, visual and non-verbal communication skills, as well as listening skills to gain understanding.
In addition, all Justworkers focus on aligning their behaviors to our core values known as COGIS. It stands for:
- Camaraderie - Day to day you can be seen working together toward a higher purpose. You like to have fun. You’re an active listener, treat people respectfully, and have a strong desire to know and help others.
- Openness - Your default is to be open. You're willing to share information, understand other perspectives, and consider new possibilities. You’re curious, ask open questions, and are receptive to thoughts and feedback from others.
- Grit - You demonstrate grit by having the courage to commit and persevere. You’re committed, earnest, and dive in to get the job done well with a positive attitude.
- Integrity - Simply put, do what you say and say what you'll do. You’re honest and forthright, have a strong moral compass, and strive to match your words with your actions while leading by example.
- Simplicity - Be like Einstein: “Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.”
- Prior Human Resources experience preferred, including significant experience in the design and implementation of complex compensation and benefits programs
- Minimum 8 years of experience in Compensation, including experience in leading and influencing key senior stakeholders
- Working knowledge of benefits programs, including 401(k), medical, dental and vision, leaves and accommodations
- Minimum of 5 years designing and implementing Total Reward Programs
- Demonstrated ability to design and implement essential compensation programs and practices, as well as creating and managing incentive programs (performance awards, options, commission, etc.)
- Experience with the IPO process
- Experience with HCM systems, with knowledge of Workday preferred. Experience with HRIS systems and compensation tools/platforms (Workday, Payscale, Radford) a plus
- Strong managerial focus with a demonstrated ability to coach and develop talent within the team.
- Business savvy and ability to communicate effectively with Finance and other key stakeholders
- Strong analytical skills and ability to interpret and communicate data
- Expert level experience with financial and data modeling/analysis
- Experience working with the compensation committees and board of directors
- Strong interpersonal skills, leadership ability, and a natural collaborator
Diversity At Justworks
Justworks is committed to maintaining a workplace where diversity of identity, culture, and life experience is the norm and is celebrated authentically and respected consistently. Diversity in our work, our people, and our product drives creativity and innovation, entrepreneurial leadership and integrity, competitiveness, and collaboration throughout our business and in the market. We depend on our differences to make our team stronger, our workplace more dynamic, and our product accessible to all of our customers.
We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer open to all qualified applicants regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other legally protected status.