Who We Are
At Justworks, you’ll enjoy a welcoming and casual environment, great benefits, wellness program offerings, company retreats, and the ability to interact with and learn from leaders in the startup community. We work hard and care about our most prized asset - our people.
We’re helping businesses get off the ground by enabling them to focus on running their business. We solve HR issues. We’re data-driven and never stop iterating. If you’d like to work in a supportive, entrepreneurial environment, are interested in building something meaningful and having fun while doing it, we’d love to hear from you.
We're united by shared goals and shared motivations at Justworks. These are best summed up in our company values, which are reflected in our product and in our team.
If this sounds like you, you’ll fit right in.
Who You Are
Engineering managers at Justworks are tasked with leading and inspiring teams of brilliant software engineers. They work closely with our designers and product managers to develop products that delight our users and make complex problems simple.
The Payment Experience team is responsible for the systems that facilitate inputs and outputs of payroll. This includes time entry and approvals processes, payment scheduling and management, reporting, integrations with relevant third parties, etc. In this role, you will have the opportunity to work with other engineering managers within Payment Experience, as well as across the organization. Beyond product work, engineering managers collaborate on agile processes, interviewing, training, and improving our systems, craft, and capabilities across all of engineering.
This job requires a strong technical background and a track record of mentoring and growing teams. Our business domains are deep and complex, so your ability to positively impact and understand complex systems will set you apart.
We work primarily in Ruby on Rails and React, but prior knowledge is not a requirement.
What You'll Do
- Direct work by providing context and direction, delegating, and removing obstacles to get work done
- Provide guidance and support the growth, engagement, and well-being of engineers on the team
- Communicate and collaborate with product, engineering, design, and others to understand requirements, contribute new perspectives, and uncover opportunities for improvement
- Advocate for best practices around system design, testing, observability, etc. across the organization
- Build and maintain a strong team identity that applies its diverse skills and perspectives to achieve common goals
- Support company-wide DEI initiatives, and help to grow the culture of DEI both within and beyond the team
- Contribute to roadmap planning and the OKR process
- Help to consistently evolve and improve our processes: interviewing, training, career growth, architecture, agile development, goal setting, etc.
As an Engineering Manager, how results are achieved is paramount for your success and ultimately result in our success as an organization. In this role, your foundational knowledge, skills, abilities and personal attributes are anchored in the following:
- Execution & Delivery: You exercise good judgment and pride yourself on being resourceful. You take a can-do approach, even in the face of obstacles and constraints, to effectively and efficiently optimize what you have, whether it's working on something new or thinking about how to do something better
- Teamwork & Collaboration: Our greatest asset at Justworks is our people. We each grow best by putting our collective best together; so it’s important that you are committed to cross-functional partnership and creating open lines of communication
- Influence & Leadership: You strive to foster a community of knowledge-sharing, collaboration, mentorship, and forward-thinking; all while leading by example
- Skills & Knowledge: We are critical thinkers who use our specialized skills and knowledge to enhance and improve ourselves and the world around us. We demonstrate our ability to exercise sound reasoning to analyze issues, make decisions, and overcome problems and share our knowledge and best practices openly
- A track record of at least two years leading productive engineering teams
- A desire to help develop a product with a positive impact
- A history of helping their team grow and have fulfilling careers
- High levels of empathy and interpersonal skills
- Able to guide a team through ambiguous situations, creating clarity and building hypotheses
- Demonstrable experience in prioritizing, crafting, and executing plans
- Solid understanding of core web development technologies from the browser to the database
- Strong communication skills with the ability to grasp and explain complex concepts to both technical and non-technical people
Diversity at Justworks
Justworks is committed to maintaining a workplace where diversity of identity, culture, and life experience is the norm and is celebrated authentically and respected consistently. Diversity in our work, our people, and our product drives creativity and innovation, entrepreneurial leadership and integrity, competitiveness, and collaboration throughout our business and in the market. We depend on our differences to make our team stronger, our workplace more dynamic, and our product accessible to all of our customers.
We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer open to all qualified applicants regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other legally protected status.