Who We Are
At Justworks, you’ll enjoy a welcoming and casual environment, great benefits, wellness program offerings, company retreats, and the ability to interact with and learn from leaders in the startup community. We work hard and care about our most prized asset - our people.
We’re helping businesses get off the ground by enabling them to focus on running their business. We solve HR issues. We’re data-driven and never stop iterating. If you’d like to work in a supportive, entrepreneurial environment, are interested in building something meaningful and having fun while doing it, we’d love to hear from you.
We're united by shared goals and shared motivations at Justworks. These are best summed up in our company values, which are reflected in our product and in our team.
If this sounds like you, you’ll fit right in.
Who You Are
With experience in backend development, architecture & design, scaling, and APIs, you are ready to contribute to mission-critical systems within Justworks’s growing payments domain. On PayRes, you’ll be working on problems and products that are more often seen in FinTech than HRTech. You might have an interest in or knowledge of financial systems, accounting software such as Netsuite, or payments-industry rails such as RTP, ACH, and wire. Most importantly, you have a desire to own the entire lifecycle of new technical solutions that will power Justworks for years to come.
Experience at FinTechs or banks will help you hit the ground running, but is by no means required.
Your Success Profile
What You Will Work On
- Own substantial pieces of a multi-billion dollar payments operation
- Propose, build, and maintain modular solutions, including microservices
- Integrate with banks to provide timely and accurate transfer of funds between many thousands of clients
- Grow with the modernizing payments industry, revolutionizing the way money moves
- Keep sensitive data compartmentalized and secure
- Modernizing and implementing Wire, ACH, RTP, FedNow, and proprietary financial integrations
How You Will Do Your Work
As a Senior Software Engineer, how results are achieved is paramount for your success and ultimately results in our success as an organization. In this role, your foundational knowledge, skills, abilities, and personal attributes are anchored in the following competencies:
- Good judgement - the exercise of critical thinking, analyzing and assessing problems and implications, identifying patterns, making connections between underlying issues, understanding risks and developing mitigation strategies, and taking ownership of the outcome.
- Resourcefulness - taking a can-do approach, even in the face of obstacles and constraints by assessing what’s in front of you and effectively and efficiently optimizing what you have, whether it's working on something new or thinking about how to do something better.
- Teamwork and communication - putting our collective best together through documentation, collaboration, relationship-building, listening, empathy, recruiting, and evangelism.
- Influence and leadership - fostering a community of knowledge-sharing, collaboration, mentorship, and forward-thinking.
- Skills and knowledge - the capacity to learn actively and apply specific domain knowledge, know-how, and best practices to enhance Justworks and improve yourself continuously.
In addition, all Justworkers focus on aligning their behaviors with our core values known as COGIS. It stands for:
- Camaraderie - Day to day we can be seen working together toward a higher purpose. You’re an active listener, treat people respectfully, and have a strong desire to know and help others.
- Openness - Your default is to be open. You're willing to share information, understand other perspectives, and consider new possibilities. You’re curious, ask open questions, and are receptive to thoughts and feedback from others.
- Grit - You demonstrate grit by having the courage to commit and persevere. You’re committed, earnest, and dive in to get the job done well with a positive attitude.
- Integrity - Simply put, do what you say and say what you'll do. You’re honest and forthright, have a strong moral compass, and strive to match your words with your actions while leading by example.
- Simplicity - “Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.” DRY & KISS are highly valued.
- Minimum of 5 years of professional hands-on experience
- Demonstrated history of designing and owning backend software solutions
- Experience integrating with internal and/or external services
- Experience working with systems at scale
Primary Technologies Used
- Ruby on Rails, MySQL, AWS, Git
- ElasticSearch, Docker, InfluxDB, Jenkins, CircleCI
Please Note: Justworks requires all new hires to be fully vaccinated within six weeks of their hire date as a condition of employment unless you qualify for a reasonable accommodation. For additional information on our policy, please click here.
Diversity At Justworks
Justworks is committed to maintaining a workplace where diversity of identity, culture, and life experience is the norm and is celebrated authentically and respected consistently. Diversity in our work, our people, and our product drives creativity and innovation, entrepreneurial leadership and integrity, competitiveness, and collaboration throughout our business and in the market. We depend on our differences to make our team stronger, our workplace more dynamic, and our product accessible to all of our customers.
We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer open to all qualified applicants regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other legally protected status.