Who We Are
At Justworks, you’ll enjoy a welcoming and casual environment, great benefits, wellness program offerings, company retreats, and the ability to interact with and learn from leaders in the startup community. We work hard and care about our most prized asset - our people.
We’re helping businesses get off the ground by enabling them to focus on running their business. We solve HR issues. We’re data-driven and never stop iterating. If you’d like to work in a supportive, entrepreneurial environment, are interested in building something meaningful and having fun while doing it, we’d love to hear from you.
We're united by shared goals and shared motivations at Justworks. These are best summed up in our company values, which are reflected in our product and in our team.
If this sounds like you, you’ll fit right in.
Who You Are
What You'll Do
- Partner closely with the external tax team (KPMG) to develop process improvements and documentation enhancements, including identification of areas to bring in-house;
- Manage tax compliance activities via coordination and review of quarterly and annual consolidated tax provision and calculation of effective tax rate, along with related income tax financial statement disclosures in accordance with ASC 740
- Oversee completion of Federal and State income tax compliance including tax returns, estimates, extensions, Federal/State audits, and IDRs
- Assess, monitor, and develop internal controls over income tax reporting through documentation of processes, procedures, and technical issues
- Collaborate with Finance, Accounting, Legal, and other key stakeholders to identify and ensure appropriate management of tax reporting and risk, including preparation/review of appropriate disclosures as required under US GAAP for quarterly and annual financial statements
- Interpret, apply and implement tax-related accounting standards and disclosures while researching and documenting tax technical matters, positions, policies, and procedures
- Keep informed of PEO industry-specific tax laws, regulations, and tax incentives, including R&D tax credits, to ensure that appropriate tax strategies are in place
- Support the external Tax Team in providing data to outside tax advisors for preparation of year-end provision, federal, state, and local tax filings, and ad-hoc tax projects
- Develop, implement, improve, and streamline tax compliance policies and procedures to ensure compliance with applicable tax laws, rules, and regulations
- Maintain adherence to internal controls and updating tax calendar to ensure tracking/filing of tax payments, returns, and business registrations
- Research technical tax matters, positions, policies, and procedures and assist in drafting memorandum to support and document conclusions, including tax positions related to nonrecurring company transactions
- Prepare tax calculations and models as assigned, to assist in various tax planning and reporting needs
- Assist with non-income tax-related projects and queries, including certain payroll and payroll related tax positions and accruals in coordination with the responsible teams, as necessary.
- Minimum 5+ years of corporate tax experience at either a top tier accounting firm and/or Tax Department of a corporation managing tax provision and federal and state tax compliance
- CPA certification is strongly preferred; Will consider MST or LLM
- Working knowledge of U.S tax concepts at a level needed to assess income and non-income tax accounting implications, including technical understanding and experience with ASC 740, FIN 48,ASC 450, ASC 718, and other tax-accounting principles
- Experience in a dynamic, fast-paced environment.
- Prolonged periods of sitting/standing at a desk and working on a computer
Diversity at Justworks
Justworks is committed to maintaining a workplace where diversity of identity, culture, and life experience is the norm and is celebrated authentically and respected consistently. Diversity in our work, our people, and our product drives creativity and innovation, entrepreneurial leadership and integrity, competitiveness, and collaboration throughout our business and in the market. We depend on our differences to make our team stronger, our workplace more dynamic, and our product accessible to all of our customers.
We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer open to all qualified applicants regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other legally protected status.