Who we are
At Justworks, you’ll enjoy a welcoming and casual environment, great benefits, wellness program offerings, company retreats, and the ability to interact with and learn from leaders in the startup community. We work hard and care about our most prized asset - our people.
We’re helping businesses get off the ground by enabling them to focus on running their business. We solve HR issues. We’re data-driven and never stop iterating. If you’d like to work in a supportive, entrepreneurial environment, are interested in building something meaningful and having fun while doing it, we’d love to hear from you.
We're united by shared goals and shared motivations at Justworks. These are best summed up in our company values, which are reflected in our product and in our team.
If this sounds like you, you’ll fit right in.
As Justworks’ Senior Manager, Payroll Tax you will be a leading expert on all aspects of payroll tax for our PEO. You must possess a strong ability to see ideas for improvement instituted in near real-time. You are collaborative, as this role requires you to work within a cross-functional department responsible for payroll and tax processing, and also work across departments including but not limited to Legal, Finance, and Customer Success. You are able to manage high pressure situations with ease and a great demeanor. You are passionate about developing a team of experts, while utilizing your own expertise to ensure Justworks adheres to best practices for timely and accurate payroll tax remittance.
What you'll do
- Lead a high-performing, efficient, and dedicated Payroll Tax team that manages daily payroll tax processing, accurate tax withholding and remittance, and provides internal payroll tax guidance to multiple departments
- Ensure accurate quarter and year end processing included but not limited to federal, state and local tax reconciliations, W-2 and 1099 issuance
- Provide guidance, mentorship, and development to the existing team of payroll tax analysts and coordinators
- Handle escalated issues, tax notices or tax audits for federal, state and local taxes
- Establish best practice for tax administration
- Research and communicate information about current and proposed payroll tax legislation and company procedures to ensure compliance and customer understanding
- Support internal control compliance initiatives, testing and remediation; ensure that payroll tax processes and procedures are updated
- Minimum 5 years of payroll tax experience, Certified Payroll Professional (CPP) preferred
- Minimum 2 years experience as a direct manager
- Multi-state large employer or PEO payroll tax filing experience
- Working knowledge of payroll tax regulations and payroll tax systems
- Expertise in electronic filing of federal, state and local payroll tax returns
- Ability to perform multiple tasks, in a high paced and fluid environment
- Demonstrated strong communication, interpersonal and analytical skills
Visa sponsorship is not currently available for this role
Diversity at Justworks
Justworks is committed to maintaining a workplace where diversity of identity, culture, and life experience is the norm and is celebrated authentically and respected consistently. Diversity in our work, our people and our product drives creativity and innovation, entrepreneurial leadership and integrity, competitiveness and collaboration throughout our business and in the market. We depend on our differences to make our team stronger, our workplace more dynamic, and our product accessible to all of our customers.
We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer open to all qualified applicants regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other legally protected status.