Competitive Salary + Equity + Benefits (Compensation based on Location and Experience)
Just Appraised is a Y Combinator-backed startup that is building trust and transparency between governments and the communities they serve. We do this by providing local government employees with tools to do their jobs better. Our software makes critical tax assessors’ workflows 10x faster and much more enjoyable for employees in the tax office to complete, and creates trust and transparency with the public by making it easy for anyone to understand how their property taxes are calculated.
This is a full-time, fully remote role to join a rapidly growing government technology company. The Infrastructure / DevOps Engineering Lead will lead the effort to enable our products to scale to meet the demands of hundreds of customers with millions of records. This role involves building infrastructure solutions and automations that increase scalability, security, velocity, reliability, vulnerability management, and evidence gathering. The ideal candidate is a strong systems-thinker with a bias toward structural efficiency, streamlined processes, and risk mitigation, carefully considering downstream effects in the process.
- Monitor our cloud infrastructure.
- Troubleshoot any issues we encounter.
- Build tools, processes, scripts, and workflows to improve our monitoring and troubleshooting.
- Build alert systems based on symptoms; prevent outages.
- Lead designs of major infrastructure changes and system improvements in collaboration with Engineering teams
- Facilitate our engineering processes by automating infrastructure-related processes to speed up detection and response to issues (e.g. setting up CI/CD); scale engineering systems through automation, improve on change velocity, reliability, and reduce vulnerabilities
- Define, improve, and engage in adapting architectural application bottlenecks.
- Build tools, processes, scripts, and workflows to scale and monitor security operations. This includes ensuring machines are upgraded to prevent security vulnerabilities, consulting with pen testers, confirming we are meeting required compliances (eg. SOC-2)
- Create and maintain documentation for security and infrastructure automation
- Report status, opportunities, risks, and escalations to leadership
- Help coordinate releases
What We Value
- Strong technical skills and an ability to work across backend, frontend, and infrastructure management code, with 5+ years Devops experience.
- Strong knowledge of profiling and monitoring.
- Background in DevOps, working with Linux, GCP/AWS, Chef/Ansible, or similar products is desirable.
- Experience with a diverse range of IT monitoring and management tools, such as Datadog.
- Understanding of basic database principles and optimization mechanisms.
- Proficiency with SQL.
- Ability to reason about large systems - how they work on large scale, edge cases, failure modes, behaviors.
- Experience with Nginx, Docker, Kubernetes, or similar technologies.
- Knowledge of scripting languages.
- Demonstrated ability to articulate processes and tools utilized to ensure quality, stability, performance, scalability, deployment, security, maintenance, and documentation.
- Experience with Postgres at scale, working with public clouds (AWS), and with Java EE.
- Expertise with building industrial-strength software that is reliable and performant.
- Ability to learn quickly and integrate new tools/libraries with ease.
- Strong communication skills and the ability to work with different stakeholders effectively.
Nice To Have:
- Experience working successfully on a prior single-engineer/small team project.
- Excitement about the ambiguity of an entrepreneurial, rapidly growing company, and able to juggle many projects and responsibilities.
- Experience administering databases.
We are passionate about building a diverse and inclusive environment. We are looking for teammates who care about encouraging different points of view, engaging in healthy debate, and want to work on the hard skills of practicing inclusion on a daily basis.