About this role
At JUMO we believe that we have the opportunity in our lifetime to connect every entrepreneur to the financial products they need to grow and prosper. We need exceptional people in key roles to make that happen. Joining JUMO requires boldness, resilience, and innovation. You will need to embrace change and operate comfortably in uncharted territory.
As a Systems Development Engineer, you will help scale and automate our financial services platform as the organization grows across regions worldwide. The work you’ll do will require you to be intellectually curious, and a clear but passionate thinker, capable of driving and facilitating innovation. You’ll work closely with our software engineering, data engineering, IT, and Information Security teams to build our infrastructure and support the production environment.
You will report to your Systems Development Tech Lead.
- Architect, develop, automate, and refine processes to allow JUMO to run a highly available system in AWS
- Identify and implement tooling to support JUMO’s engineering and data teams, as well as the production environment
- Develop, manage, and troubleshoot JUMO’s production environments hosted in AWS
- Develop monitoring and reporting for JUMO’s infrastructure
- Build and maintain secure network infrastructure for JUMO’s partners
- Lead, influence, and guide architectural and design discussions with the team and principal engineers
- Collaborate with engineering to optimise the database infrastructure
- Help raise and improve the quality of standards on architecture, code, and documentation
- Document operational procedures and best practice system behaviours
You will need
- Experience in communicating with users, other technical teams, and management to collect requirements
- Experience mentoring team members
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Strong experience in scripting
- Strong UNIX systems administration experience
- Solid experience with MySQL or PostgreSQL (preferable)
- Solid experience with major cloud environments such as Amazon or Azure (Amazon preferred)
- Proficient experience with IP networking and network equipment
- A solid understanding of technologies such as Infrastructure-as-Code and CI/CD pipelines
- Experience with container orchestration systems (Kubernetes/EKS preferred)
- Experience with infrastructure as code and CI/CD systems (Terraform, Jenkins, and Spinnaker preferred)
- Experience with observability systems and best practices (Datadog preferred)
- Experience with high volume, highly available systems
Bonus if you have
- A University degree would be an advantage
We ask a lot of each other at JUMO, but we give a lot too.
You will love
- Work from home, while collaborating with smart, engaging people
- Working for impact
- Growing and learning continuously, with loads of encouragement and support
- Boldly taking risks as we navigate uncharted territory
- Solving stimulating challenges alongside international teams
- Flexible work practices enabling your best delivery
- Being autonomous and empowered to lead
- A stack of leading-edge technologies
You will be based in South Africa, Kenya or Portugal. We operate on a remote first working approach where working remotely is our default way of working. We have co-working spaces available in Cape Town and Nairobi for collaboration and connection for the use of those who value and want to work out of an office, and in Porto we provide access to co-working spaces on a needs basis. You have flexibility where to work from, as long as you have access to a reliable connection and are set up to work remotely.
Diversity and Inclusion
At JUMO, we believe that diversity strengthens our teams and we strive in our recruitment process to create an environment where people from every background can collaborate and prosper and be themselves.