About this job
Teamwork plays an integral role in the success of our tech strategy. In JUMO, our teams have exposure to a broad range of the best new technology, and are trusted with the autonomy and flexibility to explore, innovate and find creative solutions to interesting challenges. With this, everyone has the opportunity to contribute to our mission of enabling equal access to finance opportunities. We have chosen our tech stack carefully and believe in using the best tools out there.
Our software engineering team is responsible for building our market-leading banking as a service platform & products, enabling real-time access to funds at the lowest possible operating cost. When integrated into JUMO’s platform, it enables our partners to offer loans, savings and a wide range of financial choices to a new group of customers.
As a Software Engineer you will be accountable for solving complex technical problems in the fintech field with solutions that are scalable, testable, maintainable, and efficient. You will report to a Tech Lead.
- Work in an agile / scrum environment, delivering across the SDLC to build a highly scalable distributed system
- Consistently write code that is easily testable, easily understood by other developers and accounts for edge cases and errors.
- Design, implement, test, deploy, and support our products and services
- Use a systematic approach to debug issues located within a single service, and use a range of tools to detect when there is an incident and raise this with stakeholders in a timely manner.
- Understand the importance of security and foster a security first mindset
- Help teammates overcome obstacles, resolve blockers, and complete work tasks.
You will need
- Experience with Kotlin / Java / Scala, and a cloud-based infrastructure, ideally AWS. Python experience will be an added advantage
- Experience designing, developing and testing software
- Extensive hands-on experience with the design and development of high-volume / low-latency services
- Business and operational awareness
- Good communication skills & EQ – able to work in a diverse team
We ask a lot of each other at JUMO, but we give a lot too.
You will love
- Work in an agile cross-functional team, delivering quality code you can be proud of
- Work with a modern but pragmatic Tech Stack (i.e. Kotlin + Spring Boot for Backend, TypeScript + React for Web and Mobile,, Docker, Terraform, Kubernetes, Kafka, Datadog, Jenkins + Spinnaker for CI/CD, AWS), building a highly scalable distributed system
- Develop as a mentor, helping your junior colleagues grow as professionals
- Ensure consistency and accuracy when required
- Led and supported by an experienced, hands-on Tech Lead
- Collaborating with smart, engaging people
- Working for impact
- Growing and learning continuously, with loads of encouragement and support
- Boldly taking risks as we navigate new challenges
- Flexible work practices enabling your best delivery
- Being autonomous and empowered to lead
Our environment is designed to foster innovation and enable collaboration. We operate a remote-first approach that enables us with the flexibility to work and live where we are most productive.
We work between the UTC and UTC+3 time zones and currently have team members from South Africa, Portugal and Kenya.
Diversity and Inclusion
At JUMO, we believe that diversity strengthens our teams and strives in our recruitment process to create an environment where people from every background can collaborate and prosper and be themselves.