About this job
Teamwork plays an integral role in the success of our tech strategy. At JUMO, our teams have exposure to a broad range of the best new technology, and are trusted with the autonomy and flexibility to explore, innovate and find creative solutions to interesting challenges. With this, everyone has the opportunity to contribute to our mission of enabling equal access to finance opportunities. We have chosen our tech stack carefully and believe in using the best tools out there.
Our software engineering team is responsible for building our market-leading banking as a service platform & products, enabling real-time access to funds at the lowest possible operating cost. Integration with JUMO’s platform enables our partners to offer loans, savings and a wide range of financial choices to make finance accessible to everyone.
As a Senior Software Engineer, you will be accountable for solving complex technical problems with solutions that are scalable, testable, maintainable, and efficient, whilst continuing to improve our engineering practices. This position reports to a Tech Lead.
- Work in an agile / scrum environment, delivering across the SDLC to build a highly scalable distributed system.
- Assist in defining the team's roadmap in line with the company and technology vision.
- Architect services and systems using well accepted design patterns to allow for iterative, autonomous development and future scaling.
- Design, implement, test, deploy, and support our products and services.
- Review code developed by other developers and provide feedback, guide the team to consistently write production-ready code that is easily testable, easily understood by other developers and accounts for edge cases and errors.
- Anticipate and communicate blockers, delays and cost ballooning within the team’s projects, before they require escalation.
- Contribute to existing documentation or educational content and drive best practices and engineering excellence.
You will need
- Experience with Kotlin / Java / Scala, and a cloud-based infrastructure, ideally AWS.
- Experience designing, developing and testing software
- Extensive hands-on experience with the design and development of high-volume/low-latency services
- Business and operational awareness
- Good communication skills, high EQ and the ability to work in a diverse team
We ask a lot of each other at JUMO, but we give a lot too.
You will love
- Working in an agile cross-functional team, delivering quality code you can be proud of.
- Working with a modern but pragmatic Tech Stack (i.e. Kotlin + Spring Boot for Backend, TypeScript + React for Web and Mobile, Docker, Terraform, Kubernetes, Kafka, Datadog, Jenkins + Spinnaker for CI/CD, AWS) to build a highly scalable distributed system.
- Developing as a mentor, helping your junior colleagues grow as professionals.
- Ensuring consistency, accuracy and high standards.
- Being led and supported by an experienced, hands-on Tech Lead.
- Collaborating with smart, engaging people.
- Working for impact.
- Growing and learning continuously, with loads of encouragement and support.
- Boldly taking risks as we navigate new challenges.
- Flexible work practices enabling your best delivery.
- Being autonomous and empowered to lead.
Our environment is designed to foster innovation and enable collaboration. We operate a remote-first approach that enables us with the flexibility to work and live where we are most productive.
We work between the UTC and UTC+3 time zones and currently have team members across South Africa, Portugal and Kenya.
Diversity and Inclusion
At JUMO, we believe that diversity strengthens our teams and strives in our recruitment process to create an environment where people from every background can collaborate and prosper and be themselves.