Jopwell is a career advancement platform helping Black, Latinx, and Native American students and professionals connect with meaningful job opportunities. Jopwell partners with companies of all sizes and across all industries. We work with the world's leading employers, including, Facebook, Google, Amazon, J.P. Morgan, Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley, Peloton, Pinterest, WeWork, Spotify, the PGA of America, USTA, and many others.
The Role & Responsibilities
We’re a fast-growing start-up looking for our first DEI Strategist to build out Jopwell’s diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) advisory business. You will develop and operationalize our advisory model working with C-suite level stakeholders to drive effective DEI strategies at our partner companies. You know how to build DEI policies and programming and take ownership of the process from ideation to execution, from strategy to the smallest details. You are someone who knows how to balance data-driven decision making with a consistent creative vision. You know how to scale an initiative effectively and take ownership over data and success metrics to drive profitability and growth. As a critical team member of Jopwell, you will also inform company-wide and product strategy in relation to DEI methodologies. You have a deep connection to the mission of Jopwell and the goal of advancing opportunities for people of color. You are a builder, life-long learner, and thought leader in the space who can own the dialogue on DEI for Jopwell. As the first member of our diversity, equity, and inclusion advisory business, you will report directly to our Co-founder and CEO and will play a key role in the team and business unit's development. This role may require extensive travel (expected 30% of the time) and remote onsite work.
What You Bring
- Must have a strong perspective on diversity, equity, and inclusion best practices with a keen focus on employee retention and engagement.
- Must be able to operate in a fast-paced, highly-collaborative environment amongst ambiguity.
- Ability to create and form structure from chaos.
- Must be a self-starter able to self-motivate and work independently.
- Capable of liaising with senior and executive teams, including building and delivering executive-level analysis, memos, and presentations.
- Ability to create sustainable and scalable procedures and processes.
- Ability to build consensus amongst a variety of stakeholders within a company.
- Ability to develop tools to track and measure program results.
- Must be an exceptional communicator both in writing and speaking.
- Ability to lead meetings and events with confidence.
- Ability to meet deadlines and manage multiple projects concurrently.
- Ability to use your extensive knowledge of DEI best practices, research, and data to formulate advice and action plans.
- Ability to apply of lessons, patterns, and solutions from previous experiences to new and differing challenges.
- Has at least 5+ years of experience working within a DEI team at a reputable brand, consulting firm with DEI practice, or an advanced degree with a focus on DEI.
- Has broad experience in DEI strategy with a specific expertise in operationalizing diversity, equity, and inclusion internally.
- Has successfully built out policy and programming to engage and retain diverse talent.
- Has broad business acumen.
- Has built DEI programs from ideation to execution.
- Has functional knowledge of and expertise in DEI best practices.
- Has strong project management, planning, and organizational skills.
- Demonstrates keen attention to detail and accuracy.
Learn more about Jopwell:
Jopwell is currently a team of 50+ full-time employees based in NYC. We’ve secured $12M in venture funding since our inception in 2015, including investments from Andreessen Horowitz, Y Combinator, Cue Ball Capital, Kapor Capital, Omidyar Network, and Magic Johnson Enterprises.
We’ve also been featured extensively by both print and digital publications, including, amongst others Forbes, Inc Magazine, and NBC. Fast Company hailed us as one of the most innovative enterprise companies of 2017 and Entrepreneur included Jopwell on their list of the top 100 brilliant ideas of 2017. Forbes, Inc. Magazine, LinkedIn, and Fast Company also distinguished our co-founders as “30 Under 30” award recipients.
Jopwell is an equal opportunity employer. Jopwell will not discriminate against any applicant for employment on any basis including, but not limited to: race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, predisposing genetic characteristics and genetic information, or any other classification protected by federal, state and local laws.