What does a Dev Ops/SRE do at Handshake?
Handshake is hiring our first Devops Engineer! We're looking for someone who's passionate about reliability, performance, and productivity of web apps. Whether it's ensuring our numerous deploys per day go smoothly or making fundamental infrastructure improvements, Devops is core to the engineering process at Handshake. As an early member of the team, you'll be making critical decisions that impact the productivity, reliability, and scalability of our entire platform.
Here are some projects we're excited for you to work on at Handshake
- Transitioning our infrastructure from Heroku to Kubernetes, Helm, Docker and Google Cloud Platform.
- Scaling our automated continuous integration and continuous deployment pipeline.
- Battle test our system for the worst of times and architecting fault-tolerance and resiliency into our platform, including Elasticsearch, Memcache, Redis, and message queue systems.
- Implement monitoring, alerting, automated resolution, and runbooks for incident response.
What we look for
- You have experience architecting, implementing, and running cloud infrastructure.
- You are passionate and energized helping people of all types and backgrounds launch meaningful careers.
- You are proud of your craft, and enjoy clean code that scales to be both reliable, performant, and maintainable.
- You have a healthy appetite for automation, testing and building robust distributed systems.
- You care deeply about developer productivity, and actively working to improve it across the team.
- You love writing and communicating your ideas.
- You have experience with the build and release engineering cycles, as well as continuous integration environments.
- Previous experience with Container Orchestration technologies.
Technologies and APIs you'll work with
- GCP, Kubernetes, Docker, Helm, AWS
- PostgreSQL, Redis, ElasticSearch, Memcached
- Slack, Librato, NewRelic, Bugsnag, and PagerDuty
- Buildkite, Docker
- Stock: Sizable ownership in a fast-growing company.
- Family Focus: Parental leave (12 weeks maternity / 4 weeks paternity), and flexibility for families.
- Time Off: Flexible vacation policy to encourage people to get out and see the world.
- Healthcare: World-class medical, dental, and vision policies.
- Goodies: Whatever hardware and software you need to get the job done.
- Team Fun: Regularly scheduled events, sports, game nights, book clubs.
- Giving Back: Paid volunteer time.
- Learning: Sponsorship of meetup and conference attendance.
- Great team: Working with fun, hard working, nice people who are committed to making a difference!
- ...And much more!
Handshake Company Values
Our mission is to democratize access to opportunity and ensure any student can build a great career no matter who they know, where they live or what school they attend. We empathize deeply with our students to increase career opportunities for all.
Focus on Impact
We stay humble and work hard to democratize opportunity for all students. We like to have fun - and we do! - but we’re more focused on making an impact. Yes, of course we have a ping-pong table - it’s just packed away in the closet!
Move Quickly, But Don’t Rush
We believe speed wins, and our operational pace is incredibly fast. Moving quickly while staying aligned requires strategic thought, collaboration, and frequent communication.
Learn. Grow. Repeat.
We embrace a growth mindset, enabling our team to face obstacles with a tenacious desire to turn challenges into opportunities for growth. We are relentlessly curious, working to close the gap between what we currently know and what we need to know to be as effective as possible.
Act with Empathy
We listen closely to understand our users and clients, approach challenges with curiosity, and treat our colleagues and clients with compassion.
Empowered by Diversity
We are building an inclusive & diverse community - both on the Handshake platform and across our team. We believe diverse teams create more thoughtful and innovative solutions and that diverse companies are more successful.