We’re thrilled to announce Handshake’s $80M Series E funding round. From the start, we’ve made it our mission to break down barriers and create equitable access to great jobs. We’re expanding our mission to build a platform students love, that helps early talent of all backgrounds receive access to opportunities – no matter who they know or where they go to school.
Handshake is the number one site for college students to find a job. Today, the Handshake community includes 18 million students and young alumni at over 1,000 colleges and universities. We connect up-and-coming talent across all 50 states with nearly 500,000 employers recruiting on Handshake — from every Fortune 500 company to thousands of small businesses, nonprofits, startups, and more. Handshake is democratizing opportunity and ensuring college students have the support they need to find a great job and kick-off a meaningful career.
Everyone is welcome at Handshake. We know diverse teams build better products and we are committed to creating an inclusive culture built on a foundation of respect for all individuals. We strongly encourage candidates from non-traditional backgrounds, historically marginalized or underrepresented groups to apply.
If you are not sure that you’re 100% qualified, but up for the challenge – we want you to apply. We believe skills are transferable and passion for our mission goes a long way.
Handshake is hiring a Senior People Business Partner reporting to the Senior Director of People, on the People Team. In this role you will support specific teams and their leaders during a period of high growth, helping to facilitate smooth organizational changes as well as creating systems and processes to best support development and engagement in our employees. You will be a thought partner to people managers, and provide insight and guidance as needed.
You will work closely with the other members of our People team and our executive team to help set strategy and partner on company-wide projects such as Feedback and Compensation Reviews, Learning & Development, and more. As your organization scales, you will provide work direction to more junior team members as well as develop strong partnerships with directors and VPs.
- Partner with leaders to establish forward-looking plans and provide strategic guidance on a variety of employee-related topics. This includes employee engagement, workforce planning, talent retention, and overall business performance.
- Work with people managers as a coach, providing mentorship and guidance in situations regarding conflict management and resolution as well as talent management and motivation.
- Be the primary point of contact for HR programs, tools, metrics, and analytics impacting your organization.
- Collaborate with the rest of the People and Talent team on company-wide initiatives and goals to ensure successful rollout (e.g., compensation and feedback reviews, learning and development, organizational changes).
- Analyze and reflect on current practices and policies to ensure that they scale with our organization, and recommend changes where appropriate
- Assist with the communication and rollout of updated or new people programs and policies
- Be proactive in translating business needs and requests into HR solutions
- Minimum of 6 years of HR experience, with 3+ years as a People/HR Business Partner
- Strong EQ and sense of empathy towards all employees
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills - you can work effectively across all employee levels, and utilize a variety of methods to ensure shared understanding
- Thorough understanding of relevant employment laws and their impact upon employee populations
- Demonstrated track record of growing inclusive organizations in a culture and values-aligned way
- Deep knowledge and experience applying HR best practices around coaching, employee engagement, and change management
- Proven track record of identifying people problems and using strategic skills to drive and influence appropriate solutions
- Ability to work independently and come up with creative solutions - you are an adept and agile problem solver!
- Comfort with people analytics and metrics, including experience using data to inform decision making and drive forward change
- Ability to balance strategic leadership responsibilities with a bias towards action - you have experience with managing both short-term and long-term goals
Bonus Areas of Expertise:
- Experience working with global or international populations
- Experience working in a rapidly-growing startup or tech environment
- $128,442 - $150,225
- Stock: Ownership in a fast-growing company.
- 401k: We care about your ability to save for your future.
- Family Focus: Parental leave and flexibility for families.
- Time Off: Flexible vacation policy to encourage people to get out and see the world.
- Healthcare: World-class medical, dental, and vision policies.
- Goodies: Whatever hardware and software you need to get the job done.
- Team Fun: Regularly scheduled events, sports, game nights, book clubs.
- Learning: Learning & Development opportunities for you to grow your skills and career.
- Great team: Working with fun, hardworking, nice people who are committed to making a difference!
- ...And much more!
We value diversity of all kinds, and are committed to building a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other. We are an equal opportunity employer and welcome people of all different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives.
Interested in what Handshake’s San Francisco HQ is like when we’re together? Check out this video:
Just browsing or not ready to apply? Keep in touch with us!