We’re thrilled to announce Handshake’s $80M Series E funding round. From the start, we’ve made it our mission to break down barriers and create equitable access to great jobs. We’re expanding our mission to build a platform students love, that helps early talent of all backgrounds receive access to opportunities – no matter who they know or where they go to school.
Handshake is the number one site for college students to find a job. Today, the Handshake community includes 18 million students and young alumni at over 1,000 colleges and universities. We connect up-and-coming talent across all 50 states with nearly 500,000 employers recruiting on Handshake — from every Fortune 500 company to thousands of small businesses, nonprofits, startups, and more. Handshake is democratizing opportunity and ensuring college students have the support they need to find a great job and kick-off a meaningful career.
Everyone is welcome at Handshake. We know diverse teams build better products and we are committed to creating an inclusive culture built on a foundation of respect for all individuals. We strongly encourage candidates from non-traditional backgrounds, historically marginalized or underrepresented groups to apply.
If you are not sure that you’re 100% qualified, but up for the challenge – we want you to apply. We believe skills are transferable and passion for our mission goes a long way.
The Director of Strategic Finance is a key role that drives a deep understanding of our financial metrics, supports strategic financial decisions around the direction of the business, works with senior leadership, as well as investors and key external stakeholders.
This role reports directly to the CFO and is responsible for all aspects investor relations, corporate finance, financial execution of corporate development initiatives, and strategic finance. It is a highly visible position working closely with Handshake’s c-suite, senior leadership, and current and future investors.
The role will be a critical contributor to Handsshake’s strategy, helping to refine the vision for the business. This person will use and develop data and financial metrics to drive a deep understanding throughout the business of its performance and the drivers of value.
The role will require a versatile financial skillset and acumen, world-class business analytic capabilities, familiarity with SaaS and marketplace metrics, and the ability to tell a story through data. The ability to work high-level strategically, while also at a very granular level to understand trends and drive business outcomes is very important.
Our team’s core value is trust – you will build it by making what is complex simple, creating strong relationships with stakeholders, helping them think strategically about their business and understand the financial impact of their decisions. Senior executives and business partners will appreciate your insight and view you as a trusted advisor.
This role will be based in San Francisco or Seattle. In this role you will have significant autonomy and responsibility and will do the following:
- Build and manage our investor facing financial model that is used as a basis for our long-term planning and investor communications
- Be a strategic and financial advisor to the executive team and business owners across the company with a specific focus on unit economics, SaaS metrics, and marketplace metrics
- Establish financial comps / benchmarks to peers to establish high standards of performance and create a climate of mutual accountability that delivers expected business results
- Lead Investor Relations function helping with financings as well well as preparation of board of director materials.
- Assist with ad hoc reporting and analysis to support business decision making working closely with FPA and Biz ops as a technical advisor, partner, and resource
- Build analytical frameworks, forecasts, and dashboards, along with tools, processes, and communication touch-points, to support transparency and smart and quick decision-making across and within the team
- Work closely with c-suite and senior leadership on ongoing basis to evolve overall strategy and evaluate risks and strategic scenarios, providing knowledge of financials drivers, risks, sensitivities, trade-offs and opportunities
- Challenge existing norms or courses of action, facilitating fully informed decision-making. Create constructive friction by asking the right questions and challenging assumptions as we continue to transform the business
This is a senior role within the business, and demonstration of the following capabilities will be important for success
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Economics, Accounting, or other relevant field
- 6+ years of experience in high growth tech finance function, investment banking, or private equity with progressive responsibility
- Experience with SaaS and/or marketplace models
- Deep understanding of finance and financial business drivers
- Exceptional problem-solving, with a highly analytical and inquisitive work style with a keen attention to detail -- but also ability to see the big picture
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to develop a shared understanding of the direction of the business across it most critical metrics
- Ability to thrive in an ambiguous, fast-paced environment with a high degree of autonomy
- Stock: Ownership in a fast-growing company.
- 401k: We care about your ability to save for your future.
- Family Focus: Parental leave and flexibility for families.
- Time Off: Flexible vacation policy to encourage people to get out and see the world.
- Healthcare: World-class medical, dental, and vision policies.
- Goodies: Whatever hardware and software you need to get the job done.
- Team Fun: Regularly scheduled events, sports, game nights, book clubs.
- Learning: Learning & Development opportunities for you to grow your skills and career.
- Great team: Working with fun, hardworking, nice people who are committed to making a difference!
- ...And much more!
We value diversity of all kinds, and are committed to building a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other. We are an equal opportunity employer and welcome people of all different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives.
Interested in what Handshake’s San Francisco HQ is like when we’re together? Check out this video:
Just browsing or not ready to apply? Keep in touch with us!