We’re thrilled to announce Handshake’s $80M Series E funding round. From the start, we’ve made it our mission to break down barriers and create equitable access to great jobs. We’re expanding our mission to build a platform students love, that helps early talent of all backgrounds receive access to opportunities – no matter who they know or where they go to school.
Handshake is the number one site for college students to find a job. Today, the Handshake community includes 18 million students and young alumni at over 1,000 colleges and universities. We connect up-and-coming talent across all 50 states with nearly 500,000 employers recruiting on Handshake — from every Fortune 500 company to thousands of small businesses, nonprofits, startups, and more. Handshake is democratizing opportunity and ensuring college students have the support they need to find a great job and kick-off a meaningful career.
Everyone is welcome at Handshake. We know diverse teams build better products and we are committed to creating an inclusive culture built on a foundation of respect for all individuals. We strongly encourage candidates from non-traditional backgrounds, historically marginalized or underrepresented groups to apply.
If you are not sure that you’re 100% qualified, but up for the challenge – we want you to apply. We believe skills are transferable and passion for our mission goes a long way.
The Senior Director of FP&A and Business Operations is a key role that leads critical planning and analysis functions and supports financial, business, and strategic decision-making across Handshake.
This is a highly visible position working closely with the c-suite and senior leadership. It will require you to have demonstrated a consistent record in business partnership and business analytics and the ability to tell a story through data to enable informed decisions. The position also requires an individual who understands how to get things done through influence and collaboration. The ability to work across organizational boundaries to build alignment and drive closure on issues and results is very important. This position will be able to deal with ambiguity and navigate through uncertain situations to work towards clarity.
This role reports directly to the CFO and is responsible for all aspects of financial planning and business operations. You will play an integral part in Handshake’s success by helping to formalize and operationalize the strategic vision for the business, working closely with the c-suite and senior executives to build the best place for students and young professionals to discover their dream career.
This role will have a strong vision for the growth of the finance, and business operations functions, and will be able to hire, lead and grow the right team to support Handshake’s rapid growth.
Our team’s core value is trust – you will build it by making what is complex simple, creating strong relationships with stakeholders, helping them think strategically about their business and understand the financial impact of their decisions. Senior executives and business partners will appreciate your insight and view you as a trusted advisor.
This role will be based in San Francisco or Seattle. In this role you will have significant autonomy and responsibility and will do the following:
- Build a world class FPA and Biz Ops function, identifying and hiring high quality team members, and providing mentorship and leadership to a motivated capable high performing team
- Partner with senior stakeholders across Handshake’s three sides of the business - University, Student and Employer, as well as all functional components of the business (people, product, eng, data science) building trust and enabling eyes wide open decision making
- Work closely with c-suite and senior leadership on ongoing basis to evolve overall strategy and evaluate risks and strategic scenarios, providing knowledge of financials drivers, risks, sensitivities, trade-offs and opportunities
- Develop and coordinate the annual planning and goal setting process across the business. Lead, plan and direct the development and analysis of budgets, forecasts and strategic plans, working across all functional areas of the business, and institute monthly reporting / tracking and reviews
- Work closely with business leaders to report, manage and control operating results, identifying areas of both growth potential, and cost efficiency
- Define / monitor business KPIs -- to establish high standards of performance and create a climate of mutual accountability that delivers expected business results
- Build analytical frameworks, forecasts, and dashboards, along with tools, processes, and communication touch-points, to support transparency and smart and quick decision-making across and within the team
- Challenge existing norms or courses of action, facilitating fully informed decision-making. Create constructive friction by asking the right questions and challenging assumptions as we continue to transform the business
This is a senior role within the business, and demonstration of the following capabilities will be important for success
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Economics, Accounting, or other relevant field
- 6+ years of experience in high growth tech finance function, investment banking, or private equity with progressive responsibility
- Experience building and managing teams of managers in a finance role
- Deep understanding of finance and financial business drivers
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to drive consensus across cross-functional teams and influence senior stakeholder decision making
- Exceptional problem-solving, with a highly analytical and inquisitive work style with a keen attention to detail -- but also ability to see the big picture
- Ability to thrive in an ambiguous, fast-paced environment with a high degree of autonomy
Stock: Ownership in a fast-growing company.
401k: We care about your ability to save for your future.
Family Focus: Parental leave and flexibility for families.
Time Off: Flexible vacation policy to encourage people to get out and see the world.
Healthcare: World-class medical, dental, and vision policies.
Goodies: Whatever hardware and software you need to get the job done.
Team Fun: Regularly scheduled events, sports, game nights, book clubs.
Learning: Learning & Development opportunities for you to grow your skills and career.
Great team: Working with fun, hardworking, nice people who are committed to making a difference!
...And much more!
We value diversity of all kinds, and are committed to building a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other. We are an equal opportunity employer and welcome people of all different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives.
Interested in what Handshake’s San Francisco HQ is like when we’re together? Check out this video:
Just browsing or not ready to apply? Keep in touch with us!