Handshake is the number one site for college students to find a job. Today, the Handshake community includes 17 million students and young alumni at over 1,000 colleges and universities — including 120+ minority-serving institutions. We connect up-and-coming talent across all 50 states with nearly 500,000 employers recruiting on Handshake — from every Fortune 500 company to thousands of small businesses, nonprofits, startups, and more. Handshake is democratizing opportunity and ensuring college students have the support they need to find a great job and kick-off a meaningful career regardless of where they go to school, what they choose as a major, and who they know.
We welcome all people. We celebrate diversity of all kinds and are committed to creating an inclusive culture built on a foundation of respect for all individuals. We seek to hire, develop and retain talented people from all backgrounds. Individuals from non-traditional backgrounds, historically marginalized or underrepresented groups strongly encouraged to apply.
If you are not sure that you’re 100% qualified, but up for the challenge - we want you to apply.
Handshake is hiring a Lead Web Developer to ensure every visitor to joinhandshake.com always receives a memorable digital experience. Serving employers, universities and students - you’ll sit in the Employer team and partner broadly across our business to manage a queue of projects alongside our existing contract dev team, gathering requirements and setting expectations with business owners along the way.
As website product owner - you'll own stack evolution, appropriate handoffs to our product and ops/analytics teams, technical SEO, and overall site uptime, conversion and performance metrics. You are a player/coach and love to build in addition to proposing better ways of accomplishing end goals.
- Build easy-to-use and performant websites serving multiple partners across the business, primarily partnering with marketing and design
- Manage our web dev sprints including resources alignment with our contract dev team, the processes by which projects are raised, and ongoing communications regarding requirements/expectations/tradeoffs with stakeholders
- Participate in the full development lifecycle, including estimation, design, development, testing, and deployment
- Collaborate with our design team via regular design critiques and working sessions
- Review and respond to operational issues, escalating as necessary and partnering with our security teams to ensure best practices are implemented
- Partner with our product and engineering teams for cohesive external/internal experience for all end users
- Partner with our marketing operations team to ensure relevant data capture for tracking and attribution
- Help kickoff and oversee an ongoing queue of website experiments (CRO, A/B testing, etc)
- Own and track technical SEO, load times, bounce rates, conversion rates and overall website health metrics
You’ll work with these technologies (and more!):
- JS/ES6 and CSS/SASS
- Jira/Trello - project management system
- Marketo - marketing automation platform
- Salesforce - CRM
- Bizible - marketing attribution system
- Splash - event marketing system
- Zoom - webinar system
- You are a player/coach and you’ve built high impact, high performing websites incorporating security best practices and have scaled teams/resources along the way
- You can articulate a vision but are able to balance with near-term results
- You are passionate about good UI/UX and on top of the latest developments and learnings in web development
- You can express ideas to both technical and non-technical individuals
- You can speak with experience to WordPress themes and plugins
- You have in-depth knowledge of brand systems / design principles and best practices
- You can define and propose projects in addition to building them
- You have excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- You have demonstrated critical-thinking, decision-making, and problem-solving skills
- You are comfortable in a high-growth startup, can balance many simultaneous projects, and thrive in fast-paced environments
Bonus Areas of Expertise:
- You have experience with Advanced Custom Fields and ACF Gutenberg blocks!
- Stock: Ownership in a fast-growing company.
- 401k: We care about your ability to save for your future.
- Family Focus: Parental leave and flexibility for families.
- Time Off: Flexible vacation policy to encourage people to get out and see the world.
- Healthcare: World-class medical, dental, and vision policies.
- Goodies: Whatever hardware and software you need to get the job done.
- Team Fun: Regularly scheduled events, sports, game nights, book clubs.
- Learning: Learning & Development opportunities for you to grow your skills and career.
- Great team: Working with fun, hardworking, nice people who are committed to making a difference!
- ...And much more!
We value diversity of all kinds, and are committed to building a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other. We are an equal opportunity employer and welcome people of all different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives.