Our mission is to democratize opportunity for students everywhere. We believe that every student should have an equal opportunity to build a meaningful career regardless of where they go to school, what they major in, or who they know. The Handshake community includes 17 million students and young alumni at more than 1000 universities. We connect talent from across all 50 states with over 500,000 employers recruiting on Handshake - from every Fortune 500 company to thousands of local mom and pop shops, nonprofits, startups, and more.
We welcome all people. We celebrate diversity of all kinds and are committed to creating an inclusive culture built on a foundation of respect for all individuals. We seek to hire, develop and retain talented people from all backgrounds. Individuals from non-traditional backgrounds, historically marginalized or underrepresented groups are strongly encouraged to apply.
If you are not sure that you’re 100% qualified, but up for the challenge - we want you to apply.
Handshake is hiring our first Total Rewards Manager reporting to Sr. Director of People, on the People team. In this role you will be responsible for maintaining and evolving the benefits and compensation program at Handshake, ensuring that we have world-class offerings to best support current and future Handshakers. You’ll use your analytical skills and strategic mindset, frequently working with senior management and leadership, to execute on our overall people strategy. As the Total Rewards manager at Handshake, you will have the opportunity to grow this function in parallel with the growth of the company, and become a trusted senior member of the People team.
- Own foundational aspects of our Total Rewards program, including: compensation review cycles, open enrollment and benefit benchmarking, and market analyses
- Manage relationships and projects with key external partners, such as compensation consultants, benefits brokers, and third-party tools and platforms
- Provide regular compensation analytics, using internal and external tools, to ensure pay parity and market competitiveness
- Identify opportunities for Handshake to evolve and uplevel their compensation and benefits practices for the future, either through philosophy or greater operational efficiency
- Develop and own comprehensive total rewards materials for employees and candidates, conveying the ‘what’, the ‘why’, and the ‘how’
- Work closely with our Talent team to build competitive and equitable compensation offers, and understand what future needs may be
- Develop strong relationships with key members of the People, Talent, and Finance teams to align our strategies with business priorities
- Assist executive leadership with high-level projects, including Board material prep and headcount planning
- Experience working in a compensation and/or benefits analysis and management role
- Strong analytical skills with high proficiency in Google Sheets and Excel
- Ability to identify and apply methods of scale: we are continually looking to improve our practices and systems!
- Experience in a ‘connecting the dots’ role: comfort with ambiguity and ability to discern signal from noise, to focus on critical and urgent issues
- A track record of identifying problems and using strategic business skills to develop solutions
- Extremely effective communicator and collaborator
- Superb organizational skills, with a focus on detail and a bias towards action
Bonus Areas of Expertise:
- Experience in a rapidly growing tech company
- International compensation or benefits experience
- Strong executive presence and experience working directly with senior management
- Stock: Ownership in a fast-growing company.
- 401k: We care about your ability to save for your future.
- Family Focus: Parental leave and flexibility for families.
- Time Off: Flexible vacation policy to encourage people to rest and recharge.
- Healthcare: World-class medical, dental, and vision policies.
- Goodies: Whatever hardware and software you need to get the job done.
- Team Fun: Regularly scheduled events, movie nights, and book clubs.
- Learning: Learning & Development stipend for you to grow your skills and career.
- Great team: Working with driven, fun, and kind people who are committed to making a difference!
- ...And much more!